• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee Mac

• rkmcswain

• nestly

• neophoible

Lee Mac is my idol for AutoLisp... (and surely dont want to forget Afralisp , Jeffery Sanders for their helpful websites and tharwat and other guys who helped)

I have been using AutoCAD since R14 but never really attempted beyond a basic designing/drafting. Recently, when I was looking for some utility, I came to know about Lee's website. This inspired me and understood that AutoLIPS is really timesaving. And now I'm so much into AutoLISP. I know I have a long way to go...but trying to be on the path set by Lee.

Really appriciate your Help and will to help others...

Oh cool, I see you've added an "Exchange App Store" link to your signature. Nice programs there, surely.....but where's the global block replacer/inserter? :D

Sorry, I guess that one is going to be left to me. Uh-oh!

No, I'll do it! As an exercise, at least........That's a heck of an idea, actually. Will give me something to do once I finish these 200 dynamic blocks, so by Christmas I may have gotten started!

Unfortunately I doubt my program would be of the quality of work required to get autodesk's backing. I'd just be lucky to have it work and not blow up.

That said, congrats and I hope you garner so much attention in your programs that autodesk has to reach out and incorporate your work officially. If, that's what you'd want at least. Anyhow, back to it for me....

I think Lee's time is yet to come. I am from Bosnia and we are also familiar with his work. I've already talked about bosnian CAD software developed here in Bosnia. Mirza asked me to send greetings for Lee and to announce that he has surprise for those who can not effort full AutoCAD license with LISP support. BabaCAD 1.3 is coming out with AutoLISP enabled, free again. Beta test version can be downloaded from his site http://www.babacad.com

But because his logical and reasoning abilities are so advanced in computer languages, he picked up on it unbelievably quick.

Hope this may help the topic. Good post though, neo!! :)

Thanks, Tannar. I also appreciate your insights and observations, as well as those of the others who have contributed, and the spirit in which they are presented.

I would say that that last statement of cause is worded much more strongly than I would think necessary. Because the guy is so smart in general, just his familiarity with English and studying is probably enough to pick up Spanish quickly. Of course we will never know, as we can't repeat the experiment with him. Also, the time/effort spent in working on it would be a factor. The motivational factor you mentioned, of course, skews everything, and could greatly affect the time/effort spent factor. I suppose when he's learned several more natural languages you will have a better gauge of how much of a natural linguist he is. To make it easier, he might try French, then German, then Russian. Of course, to make it more challenging and show that his programming languages training and talent are what have been the catalyst for speed (and not the study/experience of natural languages), perhaps trying the hardest, most dissimilar language (from English) he can find would be the fairer test. It does help to be younger rather than older, if he's thinking about taking up the challenge.

In any case, there are a number of factors that affect our bents and abilities, so I concede that there are many possibilities here.:)

Maybe I can clear this up a bit.
I took a look at some sites on the web and found quite a bit of information regarding the brain, language, mathematics, music. One thing I found was an abstract of an article that might apply, but I don't have access to the article AKAIK (I've lost the link, but I will try to post it here when I find it again):

"Theory predicts a close structural relation of formal languages with natural languages. Both share the aspect of an underlying grammar which either generates (hierarchically) structured expressions or allows us to decide whether a sentence is syntactically correct or not. The advantage of rule-based communication is commonly believed to be its efficiency and effectiveness. A particularly important class of formal languages are those underlying the mathematical syntax. Here we provide brain-imaging evidence that the syntactic processing of abstract mathematical formulae, written in a first order language, is, indeed efficient and effective as a rule-based generation and decision process. However, it is remarkable, that the neural network involved, consisting of intraparietal and prefrontal regions, only involves Broca's area in a surprisingly selective way. This seems to imply that despite structural analogies of common and current formal languages, at the neural level, mathematics and natural language are processed differently, in principal."

I'm not saying this is definitive, of course, and this deals with math and natural languages, not programming.

I'm English and live in Belgium, in both Holland and Belgium most people can converse in 3 languages, depending on where they live 4 languages is quite common, and I know a few that manage in over 6 languages. I don't think many of them are very good at programming or mathematics. And what suprises me the most is that they are very poor at understanding their own language spoken by foreigners.

I'm English and live in Belgium, in both Holland and Belgium most people can converse in 3 languages, depending on where they live 4 languages is quite common, and I know a few that manage in over 6 languages. I don't think many of them are very good at programming or mathematics. And what suprises me the most is that they are very poor at understanding their own language spoken by foreigners.
Thanks for the info, steven-g. I'm American and live in America where most speak one language. I have trouble understanding native speakers here.;) Seriously, it can be a problem. But I have to admit that I had even more trouble understanding professors hailing from other countries. I've no doubt they were smart. Though not in every case, still, too often the accents were way too thick for technical info to be conveyed effectively in a teaching environment. :ouch:

I'm English and live in Belgium, ... what suprises me the most is that they are very poor at understanding their own language spoken by foreigners.

Very well put steven-g, I can frequently relate to that last part, living half a world away from my place of birth.

All of my kids were tri-lingual before starting school, and one of the ones they speak I can't, which is frustrating at times. :beer:

Edited by Dadgad

Mr.Lee Mac,

I wish I could be your student and learning lisp from YOU.

I bet if it happens i could become a true Autolisper.

If you open any class plz dont forget me as I could be your first student joining in........

Well i must admit that other members like MR.CAB, MR.MIRCEA,MR.GILE,MR.THARWAT,MR.FIXO And many others are also a LEGENDS.

THANK YOU SO MUCH MR.LEE FOR BEING A PART OF THE MANY AUTOLISP FORUMS.

Regards

Well i must admit that other members like MR.CAB, MR.MIRCEA,MR.GILE,MR.THARWAT,MR.FIXO And many others are also a LEGENDS.

Regards

Yes I agreed 100%, We have to respect all of them.

Mr.Lee Mac,

I wish I could be your student and learning lisp from YOU.

I bet if it happens i could become a true Autolisper.

If you open any class plz dont forget me as I could be your first student joining in........

THANK YOU SO MUCH MR.LEE FOR BEING A PART OF THE MANY AUTOLISP FORUMS.

Regards

Yes I agreed 100%, We have to respect all of them.

Lee,

as already said in private, it is my turn to do it publicly, currently, I consider you one of the best AutoLISP/VisualLISP programmers, and above all, I have to emphasize, the commitment in helping others at the forums, and sharing your codes and tutorials at your site, a great place to learn!

Thank you!

All the best,

Henrique

Wonder what triggered this thread, Did i miss something here during my AWOL? :)

I think it was just a spontaneous reaction by someone who's life just became a lot easier... it's kinda surprising it doesn't happen more often.

Just saw this post today and I think this is a wonderful thing that we all salute the true gentleman and scholar that Lee-Mac is. I came to this forum in 2008 just to learn some AutoCAD stuff. Then about 1-1/2 years ago I found myself needing to learn LISP quickly in order to land a contract job. I knew a little about LISP...enough to fake my way through the interview process anyway...and then got into a full time gig with a great company. I increased my expertise level exponentially thanks mainly to Lee-Mac and his willingness to offer advice...and there are many others in this forum who have been very helpful and friendly...this is a great forum and its guys like Lee-Mac who make it that way. Cheers and ice cold pints chap!

Oh yes, for those of you who don't know, Lee resides in London so that would probably be room temperature pints....:beer: