Scale of drawings

bennyboy86

Hi all,

my company starting a new job with an american company, we are australian. seeing the size of the job they want to use A0, im fine with that but the problem we face is that we have A1 and an A3 printer, the A1 printer can do A2 but not ideal for our company. we usualy work with A1/A3 scales.

can some help me with working out scales for A0/A3 or is that a bad idea as you will get whacky scales that dont really exist on a ruler.

normally A1 - 1:100

A3 - 1:200

so if i keep A3 at 1:200 what would that make A0 sheet?

thanks all for your help. if we have to, we can use A2 but the printer we got is expensive and super slow.

And the American company is going to adhere to metric units and not insist on imperial units? Remember too that have to be able to print the drawings on their end too. What sheet sizes would they use?

You might find this chart helpful:

http://cadsetterout.com/drawing-standards/paper-sizes/

For example:

The reduction scale from A0 to A2 is 50%. So a 1:100 drawing on an A0 sheet will be 1:200 when reduced to A2.

The reduction scale from A0 to A3 is 35%. This might result in 'Wacky' scales!

Maybe you should speak to your customer and ask what they customarily do?

I would definitely make sure everyone is on the same page both literally and figuratively.

Do they expect the drawings to be done using imperial or metric units?

Do they expect the drawing to be printed on paper sized in imperial or metric units?

Why didn't they provide you with a template all set up with the proper text styles, dimension styles, layouts, scales, etc.? That would certainly make things easier.

hi guys thanks for replying,

they will be using metric as the job is to be done in the islands surrounding Australia.

in terms of templates we use our own text styles, layers, title block, etc.

the size of the drawings is still be worked out,we have had a new meeting and the reason for them wanting A0 is to fit all of some buildings on 1 sheet at 1:100 without splitting.

but the only thing is A1/A3 are the common sizes here in Australia and the islands, still figuring it out, they deciding what they prefer with the client.

thanks Pablo for the like will check it out.

I'd be trying to convince them to use A1/A3 as as you said yourself, it is by and large the standard in Australia.

If they want A0, then do it in A0. You can just print your draft plans in A1 (not to scale) for checking purposes. If you have an A1 plotter that uses a roll of paper you might also find it is capable of printing A0. Obviously if it is an individual sheet fed plotter then it isn't possible.

they will be using metric as the job is to be done in the islands surrounding Australia.

You aren't designing a new detention centre(s) are you? :lol:

• 11 years later...

Hello all. We have A0 master drawings @ 1:50.

We would like to copy to A1 what would be the scale please?

4 hours ago, fuccaro said:

Since the size of A1 is half of the A0, the scale should be 1:100

Welcome in the Forum!

A1 isn't half the size it's around 70 %, apparently,  so I don't think there is an easy conversion 😞

2 hours ago, Jason Benzie said:

A1 isn't half the size it's around 70 %, apparently,  so I don't think there is an easy conversion 😞

There is not a simple conversion because of the edge framing line. This is at a constant 15mm (or so) whilst the whole sheet scales.

My reckoning is 1:71.455, or choose a round number and order special scale rules.

Sheet sizes.PNG

Try sqroot 2 is the ratio of metric sizes. They swap sides.

"A1 isn't half the size it's around 70 %, apparently,  so I don't think there is an easy conversion "

(sqrt 2.) = 1.4142135623731

(/ 1.0 (sqrt 2.0)) = 0.707106781186547

A3=420x297

A2=594x420

A1 = 841x594

A0 = 1189x841

An A1 sheet to A3 size when plotted is a ratio of 50%.