Create Cross-Section for a Rail Way work

hellboy2703

Hi guys,

I am new here, so please forgive any fault,

i am working on rail way project in Bangladesh, i need to make cross srction for every chainage 25 meter apart (showed as CH as chainage number and CS as Cross Section number). all of the collected data are in XYZ coordinates.

i have to create 3000 of these cross section by manual calculation.

Can you guys please suggest me how can i do it easily,what software or what add-on do i have to use, i am using AutoCAD 2013 and AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012.

I have attached the working file. (sorry cant make smaller then this)

CS-409-805(Ch-140.025-150.00) Clean purged.dwg

I have taken a look at your file and all I can say is good luck! :)

If you have to draw 3000 cross sections manually in the sample form of the one in the drawing attached from the data you have then it is going to keep you employed doing it for the next year! It would be an absolute nighmare to draw the 100 or so sections you have data for in the file, let alone 3000 of them!

In all seriousness, drawing 3000 cross sections manually is ridiculous. I notice all your data is blocks, as if they were once Civil 3D points (or some other civil program) that have been exploded. So the question is, in what program was the railway designed? You should go back to whoever designed the railway and ask them to export the cross sections (it is an automatic process). Even if you then have to clean up the cross sections to make them look like the sample cross section in the one you attacked it is going to be a lot easier and quicker (i.e. cheaper) to clean up the mostly drawn cross sections than it is going to be to draw the sections manually from scratch from the data you have.

If you can't do that then you may be able to generate a surface in Civil 3D and get very basic sections you can then edit although it would require a lot of manual clean up work, much more than the better option above. Your data also looks a bit questionable and this wouldn't be the best method to do it as you are basically reverse engineering the design and introducing more errors in the process.

Let us know how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...
Hellboy, what was the outcome?

thank you for the advice,

I end-up buying a Visual LISP Executable (.vlx) that creates and plots cross section and also gives the cut and fill area,

i also employed 2 of my friends to help with the job. we finished 3 days ago.

next time i will definitely follow your advice from the start,

again thank you for the interest.