Alternate Dimension Tolerances

I would like to show both imperial and metric values in my dimensions, but I only want tolerances to be shown in imperial. Is there a way to remove alternate unit tolerances in AutoCad 2014?

alt. tol..jpg

Welcome to the forum, wheelinator. I tried to look into this, but could find nothing that would suppress the alternate units tolerances. However, it's hard for me to research 2014, as we have not installed it yet.

You did not mention where you have already looked. The best places to look are the Dimstyle dialog, the Properties of a selected dimension and System Variables Editor under Express|Tools.

Dadgad tends to be the resident expert on system variables here, but it looks like he is running 2013. Perhaps someone running 2014 will notice and chime in.

I would be interested in the need for this. If it's not already available, as I suspect, you could try to add it to Autodesk's AutoCAD wishlist.

I can think of possible workarounds using code, e.g., AutoLISP, but that's going backward, as it would not automatically update when stretching.

I would like to show both imperial and metric values in my dimensions, but I only want tolerances to be shown in imperial. Is there a way to remove alternate unit tolerances in AutoCad 2014?

[ATTACH]43008[/ATTACH]

Welcome to CADTutor wheelinator. :)

I have just looked through every single one of the (great many) DIM system variables in 2013 in the SYSVDLG box, and while I did learn a couple of things, nothing that would help you do this.

Another way to go might be, although not as simple as if it

were available OOTB, creating and inserting a field within the dimension text,

which could be formatted to display the metric measurement without any tolerance callout.

LeeMac has a nice lisp (http://www.lee-mac.com/quickfield.html) to facilitate the creation of fields (which is typically rather tedious) on his site, should you decide to give fields a try.

Thanks Lee! :beer:

Don't use the tolerance tab, instead add %%p.2000 in the suffix for the imperial bit.

Perfect, rkent to the rescue, with a very smart suggestion! :beer:

neophoible, I looked through the DIMSTYLE dialog box and tried a few variables to no avail. I was unable to find a thread for this specific topic on this forum so I decided to create one.

rkent, Adding %%p.2000 in the suffix did solve my problem when tolerance is symmetrical. Do you have any suggestions for an asymmetrical tolerances?

neophoible, I looked through the DIMSTYLE dialog box and tried a few variables to no avail. I was unable to find a thread for this specific topic on this forum so I decided to create one.

rkent, Adding %%p.2000 in the suffix did solve my problem when tolerance is symmetrical. Do you have any suggestions for an asymmetrical tolerances?

In the suffix you type +.15/-.20

Edited by rkent