Multiple users vs 1 file

SAFeSTeR

I'm sure we've all encountered this issue, more than 1 user needing to work on the same file. Of course this can create problems, like time mangement or users creating their own copies of files which leads to confusion about revisions etc.

I've looked into the possibility of using 'shared' files which updates edits made from multiple users but so far a solution has proved elusive. The only thing I found is called CadVault, but I don't think this does what I would like.

I got the idea from using shared Excel documents and it seems to work well, and IMO, CAD is the typical kind of application that requires this kind of manipulation, but I've never worked for a company that uses such a method. I'm baffled by the lack of information / support for this, unless I'm overlooking something.

So, is there a way that this can be achieved?

I thought the ability for multiple users to be working on the same file was program specific. As far as I know plain AutoCAD does not allow this.

.... and IMO, CAD is the typical kind of application that requires this kind of manipulation....
You're absolutely right about this.

So, is there a way that this can be achieved?
Unfortunately you cannot achieve this with AutoCAD. One person per file, period. The only way to achieve this true "collaboration" would be a program like Revit.

However, you can still accomplish this approach with some workaround. You can get fancy with XREF's, where the file is duplicated with the user's initials at the end of the file name, which separates them. XREF'ing each of the files into a drawing gives you the "final version", so one person can work in an area, and you in another. The key is to also XREF via Overlay each other user's XREF into your own drawing, so you see where they are in the drawing at all times. Everytime someone saves, the XREF Notify bubble appears and will reload and update the changes.

Hope this helps, and most of all makes sense to you, lol. ;)

You're absolutely right about this.

Unfortunately you cannot achieve this with AutoCAD. One person per file, period. The only way to achieve this true "collaboration" would be a program like Revit.

Hope this helps, and most of all makes sense to you, lol. ;)

Or AutoCAD Map3D. :)

These are not the responses I was hoping for :( but thanks for them anyway.Thanks for the alternative method you suggested StykFacE, I haven't worked with X-Refs much (hate them) and so it does seem a bit complicated at first glance, however, I shall look into it when I have more time.

I haven't worked with X-Refs much (hate them) and so it does seem a bit complicated at first glance, however, I shall look into it when I have more time.
I think most people didn't quite "get them" when they first came around. Once you take the dive in using them you'll wonder how you ever went without them.