Creating A3 title block from an A1

j4cksincl4ir

I have a A1 title block in model space that I like the look of. I'd like to duplicate this in A3 and A4.

Is there a way that I can scale the A1 dimensions to A3 and A4 to avoid having to redraw them again with the appropriate dimensions?

Sure.

Let's take a look at the A-series dimensions, first

A1

841 x 594 mm

A2

594 x 420 mm

A3

420 x 297 mm

A4

297 x 210 mm

If you look, you'll see that the A3 is precisely 1/2 the dimensions of the A1 (with a 1mm difference). So, if you were to just scale the titleblock by a factor of .5, it should insert into the A3 page quite nicely, but with a 1/2 mm difference (not really that big of a deal).

The A4, sadly, does not have an easy scale factor to use. You will probably have to re-draw it manually or play around with stretching to get it to fit properly.

Now, if your company is big on equality of text sizes across the different drawing sizes (i.e. they have a standard text height of, say, 7mm) then that's another matter entirely, and nullifies what I've said in its entirety.

If you want the title block to stay the same size in all the page sizes, then the area left for the drawing will get smaller and smaller as you go to A3 and A4.

If you scale the title block, then you will need stronger and stronger magnifying glass to read the text.

ITS SO EASY we do it every day title block is A1 at 1:1 just plot at 1=2 this is A3 size

OOPS modelspace you need to use layouts create a window that is 841x594 to see a A1 sheet that you have already scaled so you will be scaling a scaled . Again plot at 1=2

The best way take your title block out of modelspace and use layout tabs. We size our text to 2.5mm min for A1 &A3 then its readable either scale, 1.8mm is absolute smallest ever to use. If you want A4 then you have to think seriously about how much info on a plan you can read.

Thanks for the replies. I'm a bit slow when it comes to scales, paperspace and printing etc.

The A1 block is drawn in modelspace. When I go over to the layout tabs, the A1 block looks like a postage stamp at the bottom left-hand corner of the page. Why is the printing area so large in comparison to my A1 block?

At a guess, you might be using one drawing unit is one metre, whereas the paper space and plotting use millimetres as a unit.

So one model space drawing unit equals 1000 plotting units.

Or it might be something else :unsure:

You didn't read post above create a layout viewport 841x594 MVIEW zoom E so you can see it, this is a A1 at 1:1 scale in mm, if you window up your title block in this viewport it should become almost an exact scale factor. If you have the viewports toolbar displayed when you jump into viewport a number will appear in your case this should be an exact number like 1 2 4 or 5, 1:1000 1:500 1:250 1:200 this for dwg in metres mm will be 1000 times. you can type a number into this little box to rescale. Once set use the lock viewport option.

A1 plot at 1=1 pick window, A3 plot 1=2 same window.

Thanks again. I have to admit, that I didn't understand everything that was suggested but it seemed to work by manipulating page setup manager and the MVIEW command.

I now have a file which has a the original drawing done in model space at A1 dimensions and three layout tabs consisting of A1, A3 and A4.

When it comes to writing drawing information in the title block which is specific to a given paper size, (ie the scale and page size information), is this done on paperspace and saved?

Another quick question:

I'm trying to use my new and saved title blocks with a city's location plan that I have saved in model space on another file. I'm going to use the A3 title block.

Do I import the title block to the location plan or the location plan to my title blocks and how do I go about achieving this?

What file format is the location plan done in? DWG? PDF? JPG? PNG? Other?

Your title block information goes in your paper space layout.

The location plan is in dwg format.

I was having trouble in our office where people were duplicating an A1 layout and changing the scale to A3 to create a version for printing at A3. The problem arises then that there are now 2 layouts and a change will be made in one and missed in the other or something like that. This is storing up big problems. I had to nip it in the bud so I created 1 layout in A1. This is the only size layout that we use even though we now do the majority of our printing on A3 and not A1 as we did when I set the system up. The scale is set on the layout in a field that is tied back to the PlotScale and the Viewport Custom Scale. The used selects from a drop down on the ribbon to print in A1 ot A3. As part of the lisp all fields and force updated. This means that the scale is plotted based on the sheet size. I also plot the sheet size on the plot. I have found that this solves a lot of problems. Even if templates themselves need to be updated then they are less to be updated...

Sheets.jpg