Simulating/rendering cloth on these models (3 men) I d/l for movie - help?

AlienBZ

Ok, I'll look into this. Are you saying this Daz Studio is free but you have to buy the models? And does this work with my copy of Poser?

Not sure if the models for DAZ will open into Poser without exporting. I don't use it so I don't know :( Yes the DAZ program is free.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlienBZ

• Cad64

• Raudel Solis

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks. actually i meant to say if i can export models created in poser into daz, apparently that's what they're saying on that forum you linked me to, how poser and daz work.

*fingers start trembling

-Flashback to the date Cad64 mentioned something about politeness

From beginning to end....

*my head starts rocking left and right parallel to my monitor as my fingers peck away at my keyboard.

-If you obtain a model from anywhere i don't care if you found it on a usb drive or a friends computer or in your microwave.. if it is in the .max format or any format recognized by any 3d modeling software you must first examine your materials.

-The only way to achieve realism is through the use of good materials. in 3ds max you can examine materials by clicking M, If you have never seen what shows up after clicking M then i suggest you :rtfm:

-If you are familiar with the material editor change it to compact or work with the slate material editor, it does not matter. click on a material that is applied to a scene object and examine maps in use.

*depending on the render engine maps will be different.

-Ask yourself after examining does the map have a specular map, a bump map, glossiness map?

-Depending on the object not every map slot needs to be filled, only the necessary ones to achieve realism.

-Before proceeding decide what kind of scene this is going to be.. "is it going to be a scene that is physically accurate" or "is it going to be a scene that is not physically accurate and light tracing should not be precise"

-Next ask yourself "can i add people/effects" in post work instead of making countless changes in max" if you answered yes then render and go to photoshop.. if not...

-After examining your materials look at your scene objects... Is there a light source? if there is no light source then you need a light source without it there is no need for a glossiness map or a specular map because by default max will be using default lights which are ugly.

-If you chose to make a physically accurate render than you must use only max's photometric lights accompanied by an .ies file if possible.

-fast forward..

-On to the render settings, if you do not know what photons are stop here and :rtfm:

-by default max comes with two main render engines "Scanline" and "mental ray" on Max 2012+ the three main renderers are scanline, Mental ray, and Iray

-if your render is going to be physically accurate Mental ray and Iray are your only choices.

-Overall if you want to achieve realistic renders you need to have good materials, accurate lighting, and ray tracing by render engine.

Now about that cloth modifier...

CoD+Community.gif

I hope that you have previous experience with the cloth modifier and know that you need collision objects, if you do not know what collision objects are when it comes to the cloth modifier.. read the manual.

next, the cloth modifier has no use in what you are trying to do.

in order for the cloth modifier to have any use here the clothing of the character must be separate and composed of over a million polygons to resemble the threads "joints" of cloth.

the reason a lot of polygons are needed is because without them the clothes will intersect the mesh as he walks. like i said the cloth modifier has no use here.

continuing....

if you want realism all you need are good textures and a biped if the character doesn't have one already. the mesh must be bound to the biped.

if you do not know how to use the biped then ... read the manual.

Information overload. :o

I think you may have just confused the hell out of him. :P

Yes, you're right, Cad64 - he did confuse me to kingdom come. But now that I got these manuals, I'm going to use (read) them. Thanks for suggesting I read the manual.

Tried to access Poser Place for the past several days (after having joined a week ago) but I keep getting a "server not responding/server not found" message - what gives?

I have no idea. Did they send you an email when you registered? Does that email have contact information? If so, send them an email and ask them what's going on with their site.

I have no idea. Did they send you an email when you registered? Does that email have contact information? If so, send them an email and ask them what's going on with their site.

No, I never got any new emails from them, only the original account activation email from the admin, and I just sent him an email about the problem using the activation email's reply button.

Just as a test, can you access Poser Place, Cad64?

Maybe their server is down, or it has been hacked?

No, I never got any new emails from them, only the original account activation email from the admin, and I just sent him an email about the problem using the activation email's reply button.

That's the email that I was referring to. When you register on a website, you typically get an activation email. If you scroll down, there is usually an email address that you can use to contact them if you have problems logging in or problems with the site. Replying to the activation email generally won't work, because it's usually an automated reply with no live people monitoring it.

Just as a test, can you access Poser Place, Cad64?

Maybe their server is down, or it has been hacked?

No, I cannot access the site. Just wait and try again tomorrow.

No, I cannot access the site. Just wait and try again tomorrow.

Ok, this tells me (see, I'm going to school studying to be a computer/network/security tech, or am I repeating myself - if I am, so sorry) that it's likely that their server is down, or it may have been hacked, because when I accessed that site after registering, I recall seeing a thread containing some of the other members' replies/comments about that site being hacked recently, resulting in a loss of several month's worth of member posts/messages from that site's boards dating back to at least March 2012 until at least January 2013.

What do you think, Cad64?

EDIT - what message appears in your browser when you tried to access Poser Place, Cad64 (just wondering if it's the same messages that I get)?

Yes, it's the same message. Server down.

The same thing happened here a few years ago, before we implemented all the anti-hacker stuff. CadTutor was down for a few days.

Just give it some time. I'm sure they will get their forum back online eventually.

Yes, it's the same message. Server down.

The same thing happened here a few years ago, before we implemented all the anti-hacker stuff. CadTutor was down for a few days.

Just curious - what sort of anti-hacker stuff - maybe I can suggest to the admins at Poser Place that they implement that kind of protection over at Poser Place to prevent this sort of thing (server down) from happening again once they get their forums back up online?

Just curious - what sort of anti-hacker stuff

Lots of super top secret stuff that I'm not allowed to talk about. Having a really good moderator team helps a lot though. If their moderators are lazy, maybe it's time to replace them. ;)