Penn Foster Student Suffering with Oleson Village Map!!!

AutoCad Student

Hi, I am working on the Oleson Village project. I have created tree blocks within the drawing, however when I start entering in the coordinates to place them, the trees appear grossly out of the area of the map. I have done some research trying to figure it out, but I still can't seem to figure out what I did wrong. If anyone has any input, would be greatly appreciated.

I do have a question, how do you measure the curved areas on Lots 4,5,6 that border the cul-de-sac? Also, trying to figure out where to locate the north arrow? Or is it easy to create one from scratch? Greatly Appreciated.

Why do you need to measure the curved areas of those lots?  The north arrow should go in either the upper right- or left-hand corner of the drawing.  The student can create their own north arrow or find/insert one (as a block) that was created by someone else.

I thought that I needed to provide the measurements for those parts of the lots on the map? I made my own arrow. What I seem to be having the biggest issue with is preparing the title block. More specifically if I have the plot scale set properly.

The title block and border are created at a scale of 1:1 then enlarged to fit around the subdivision.

Re: curve dimensions.  Make a copy of the cul-de-sac off to the side along with lot lines that intersect it.  Using the Break command break the cul-de-sac where it intersects each property line.  Do a LIST or highlight the individual arcs then check its PROPERTIES to obtain the curve information you seek. When done erase the copied geometry.

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2012 at 9:36 AM, ReMark said:

I am stuck here. I have added these lines multiple times bt nothing is appearing on my screen. Is there a setting that needs to be on/off that I may be missing? 

"The next four lines that go in represent the boundaries of the subdivision. The starting point for the first of the lines is the end of the POB line we drew previously.

Make sure you are on the correct layer. You should be working on layer Boundary (color: cyan, linetype: phantom).

Start the line command and pick the end of the POB line. Now leave your mouse alone and do the following.

For the next point type @542.16<N39D16'46"E, continue Line command and...

for the next point type @676.62<N87D28'25"W, continue Line command and...

for the next point type @457.43<S2D31'35"W...

finally, for the next point type the letter C for Close. The endpoint of this line should bring you back exactly to where you started.

Note that the letter "D" is used to denote degrees, the symbol " is used to denote minutes and the symbol " is used to denote seconds. Along with the designators for North, South, East and West these character/numbers make up our "bearing".

If your phantom linetype looks more like the continuous linetype set your linetype scale to a value of 50. You can do this at the command line by typing LTSCALE then inputting the value followed by pressing the Enter key."

"

They may actually be there but perhaps you are zoomed so far out that they do not appear on your screen.  Try executing a Zoom > Extents and see if they now appear.

In the post above I noticed an error on my part.  The < ' > symbol is used to denote minutes not the < " > symbol.

Edited by ReMark

9 hours ago, ReMark said:

They may actually be there but perhaps you are zoomed so far out that they do not appear on your screen.  Try executing a Zoom > Extents and see if they now appear.

In the post above I noticed an error on my part.  The < ' > symbol is used to denote minutes not the < " > symbol.

I have zoomed in but still nothing. When I zoom out my benchmark is almost unnoticeable. Is this suppose to be a specific diameter and that is throwing it all off? 

The diameter of the benchmark is called out in the instructions for the project.  Check to see that your benchmark's diameter is drawn correctly.

9 hours ago, ReMark said:

The diameter of the benchmark is called out in the instructions for the project.  Check to see that your benchmark's diameter is drawn correctly.

Great. This seems very out of order to me. My benchmark is placed and I am attempting the first line of starting point at BM 1421334.93,783207.62 and the next point being @113.66<N5D27′23″W then pressing enter, but no line appears to be placed. 

Let's try this instead.  I am going to have you draw the line from the center of the benchmark to what will be the Point-of-Beginning (POB) for the Oleson Village subdivision using the LINE command and coordinates.  Start the LINE command and select the center of your benchmark.  Do not cancel the LINE command.  Then go to the command line and where you are prompted to Select next point type in the following coordinates just as they are shown here (include the comma too): 1421324.12,783320.67 then press the Enter key.  The line should appear on your screen.

Edited by ReMark

On 12/7/2012 at 1:49 PM, ReMark said:

Oleson Village Lots 4 5 6.jpg

It must be your lucky day. Had a few minutes to whip this up.

Laying out lots #4, 5 and 6.

I used circles to find intersection points then ran a line from the intersections back to the center of the cul-de-sac.

Lot #4 - red circle.

Copy the north streetline of SW Kensington Street to the intersection of the west boundary line of lot #4 and the south property line. This will give you the south property line of lots #5 and 6. This line is the north edge of the buffer area between the back of the lots and SW Kensington Street.

Lot #5 - yellow circle.

Lot #6 - green circle.

OK...gotta go. Catch up with you on Saturday. Good night.

Addendum:

I messed up on lot #6. See the image attached to post #47. There should be a small segment of property line (23.06 feet) going off in a northeasterly direction. My apologies.

Where did the radius of these circles come from? This is making a lot of sense until here. Stuck on how to do boundary for lot 5 and 6. 

2 hours ago, ReMark said:

Let's try this instead.  I am going to have you draw the line from the center of the benchmark to what will be the Point-of-Beginning (POB) for the Oleson Village subdivision using the LINE command and coordinates.  Start the LINE command and select the center of your benchmark.  Do not cancel the LINE command.  Then go to the command line and where you are prompted to Select next point type in the following coordinates just as they are shown here (include the comma too): 1421324.12,783320.67 then press the Enter key.  The line should appear on your screen.

Got this down. Now onto the lots 5 & 6.

12 hours ago, hollykemp said:

Where did the radius of these circles come from? This is making a lot of sense until here. Stuck on how to do boundary for lot 5 and 6. 

The streetline to the south has a radius of 30.00 while the streetline to the north has a radius of 80.00.

4 hours ago, ReMark said:

The streetline to the south has a radius of 30.00 while the streetline to the north has a radius of 80.00.

Thid thread has been such a huge help. I am on the final stages. How do I add the 'Draw the text describing the boundaries of Oleson Village using ROMAN-6 style. When you show such a total length, you place the text above the individual property line and at the center of the line being described. Small dashed lines, parallel to the property line, are positioned on either side of the text. Locate two small dashed arcs on the drawing, one at each end of the total length. Position these dashed arcs and lines as shown the figure.' Do I manually add these or is there a setting that helps? 

The student is required to add the lot line distances manually.  To align your cursor to a line that is not horizontal or vertical type UCS, then type OB.  Finally, click on the line itself.  Now your cursor should match the angle of the selected line.