Trouble drawing axonometric sections

dlarc

Hello everyone,

I've recently been trying to improve my abilities in AutoCAD, and have been trying to emulate something like this.

axonometric_section.jpg

I've always done 2d in AutoCAD and never ventured into 3d, isometric or axonometric inside of it, and although I can create something kind of like it, it always ends up entirely wireframe, and I have no idea how to make parts solid, like in the image.

I'm pretty sure my process is wrong too, as currently I'm just clicking a corner of the viewcube, then drawing out lines to get some idea of the image, but I have no idea other than guessing really.

Any help on the topic would be greatly appreciated, I've been racking my brain for the last week to try and find an answer. Also, apologies in advance if this is covered in a tutorial / thread that I haven't seen.

Thanks everyone.

To make a concrete block, as a solid, draw your rectangle and use the PressPull command to give it height.

Remember that if you work in 3D but you need access to 2D views they can be obtained in several different ways in AutoCAD. Let the program do the work while you save time and effort. BTW...some of the commands will generate sections and isometric views as well.

3D_CMU.PNG

A quick example.

Depending on the visual style one is using at the time even a 3D solid can be viewed in 2Dwireframe. The example I've posted was done using a Realistic visual style.

Edited by ReMark

I played about with it this morning, and this was exactly what I needed. I didn't even realise that the different visual styles existed, or that push/pull command did either!

Thanks a lot for the help!

Hello again,

I had a bit more of a go at trying to emulate the image in the last hour or two, though in Isometric, as I have no idea how to set it to axonometric using the viewcube (is there a command or process for this?)

I managed to come out with this after a few attempts, and ran into a few issues.

gsnGs.jpg?1

Firstly, and the main issue, some of the solid lines appear a really dark, thick black when plotted. I've had a play around with lineweights and thickness, as well as line scale, and none of them seem to have any effect. I've tried plotting it as "hidden" from the views menu thing, and in the preview it looks fine. As soon as I go to actually plot it though, I get a warning saying "One or more of the viewports will plot as rendered or hidden", with the option to update the "shaded plot settings in all viewport" or do nothing. Whichever I click on, the super-bold lines still exist. Is there a certain setting in the hidden viewport menu I can change to stop it doing this?

Secondly, I was trying to make the window-pane transparent, though despite in the preferences it being set to 95, it remains entirely solid. Is this an issue with the viewport style thing that I chose? Or is there an option I have to type first to get it to work / special material I need to use for 3d things like this?

Finally, I tried to hatch on top of the solid to get the concrete material, but got an error. Is it possible to hatch on top of a solid, or is there another way inside autocad? (This isn't too much of an issue I guess, since it can be done pretty fast inside of photoshop).

Sorry for there being a lot of questions, thanks for taking the time to read!

If anyone sees any other problems with the image, feel free to point them out, any way to help improve is always good!

Thanks again!

Transparency.jpg

The glass in the above image was placed on its own layer and the layer transparency was set to a value of 75 (range: 0-90). No materials were applied.

I would not recommend the use of hatching in a 3D model if you intend on applying materials then rendering later on.