How to edit/modify this file?

zmarcoz

Dear all,

I am very new to autocad. I create a file of pemnut drawing so that I can use it as library file and then copy and paste to other of my other drawings. I don't know what is going on of the file. After 2 hours I created the file, it cannot be edited/copied. Please help

Pemnut M4.dwg

I can copy and paste it into another drawing fine. The drawing is in paperspace, not modelspace. Make sure you are not active in the viewport when trying to select the paperspace elements.

What is viewport? How do I know it is active? From what I see in my computer, I see a thick line rectangle around my drawing. It seems that I don't have the rectangle when I draw the pemnut. Is it the viewport? If so, how I can disable it?

The fact that you are asking these questions indicates that you really need to do some homework. :|

I understand that you are just starting to teach yourself the program, but there are very good online resources.

I suggest you start here http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/autocad-user-interface/,

and then go at your own pace through the numerous different tutorials, in order. :)

Your drawing belongs in MODELSPACE, not in your LAYOUT.

The VIEWPORT (that heavy black rectangle) defines the edges of a window which affords you a view of your drawing in MODELSPACE from your PAPERSPACE Layout.

When a VIEWPORT is active, the border is HIGHLIGHTED.

In order to DEACTIVATE it you can click twice outside of the rectangle.

Once you have done that you are in PAPERSPACE, and you can select and ERASE it in the usual way.

I am not saying that you SHOULD erase it, but if there were a good reason to do so, that would be the way.

Our help is gladly offered and freely given, but you also need to do your share, to help us to help you. :)

Edited by Dadgad

Thanks Dadgad. I am sorry that I forget to say thanks to you. I would like to share but I do not have autocad knowledge. I am having my 1st job and this last week was my 3rd week. I did very poor on my drawing, both speed and quality (also have many errors). I use SW and PROE a lot, they can just use a couple clicks to create all dimensions and layouts from a 3D model. The drawing concept is also difference. ALL people in my company were very mad of my drawing, so I was trying to improve them myself. All above information, my situation, is nothing related to your contribution, you do great.

How did you get a job at a company that uses AutoCAD if your background was in SW and ProE?

Didn't anyone in this new company show you how AutoCAD works?

I've posted detailed information concerning viewports which may be of benefit to you. I'll provide you with a link shortly.

Here you go. Look at post #21.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?70701-Trouble-with-underdstanding-scaling/page3&highlight=viewports

I use SW and PROE a lot, they can just use a couple clicks to create all dimensions and layouts from a 3D model. The drawing concept is also difference. ...

Autodesk Inventor is the Autodesk product that is the equivalent of SWx and Pro/E. You might download free trial of Inventor and demonstrate how it would make this same job so much easier to do.

On second thought, most (AutoCAD) people are aware that Inventor exists and don't want to be told (by the new employee) they are using an antiquated tool.

Dear JD Mather, Thanks for your suggestion, but I got a lot of problem of converting Inventor file to AutoCad DWG. All the line thickness, dimension styles, and hidden lines have problems in converting. NOTE: it may be just my knowledge level is not good enough. I thought I was smart to use Invertor last week, but it really gave me too much pain of following up each individual modification after converting the file to AutoCad DWG

Dear ReMark, Yes the company WAS middle size 10 years ago and had 15 engineers. Now it only had two ME engineers. One is me, the other one works in the company for 30 years. He is a super AUTOCAD user, used Autocad since version 2000i . He is nice to show me stuff, but the company gives me a HIGH SLOPE learning curve. I have no way to catch so fast as the boss expected. I had 7 drawings to do start from last TUE, the due day was last THU. I tried to use Inventor to speed me up, but I should NOT (because the modification after conversion was so much). The other engineer help me to do one of the most difficult one, it took him 5 hours. As I stated, he used Autocad and he knows all our company part. Even though I had some easier task (Not all are easy), but I could not finish them correctly on last THU and made people mad. :cry:

...but I got a lot of problem of converting Inventor file to AutoCad DWG.

Well, since you don't really know AutoCAD or Inventor....

I think the idea is to forget AutoCAD and use next-generation tool. In my experience AutoCAD users with significant experience who haven't already seen the light are very resistant to any suggestion that they should be using a different tool.

10 years ago and had 15 engineers. Now it only had two ME engineers. One is me, the other one works in the company for 30 years.

I suspect you have the choice of learing a 25+ year old software product (AutoCAD) or change jobs. Keep in mind that as you invest the next 3 years or so in learing AutoCAD, the rest of the world is changing and if this company fails your skills will be obsolete.