closed drawing without saving... can i recover

michael256

iu accidently close a drawing that i had been working on with out saving... is there a way that i can recover the work that was not saved?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SLW210

• ReMark

• nestly

• michael256

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Check in Tools > Options > Files > Automatic Save File Location a then in that folder find a backup copy of the file you are looking for. Simply change .bak extension to .dwg and open in AutoCAD.

You can set in Tools > Options > Open and Save > Automatic Save your desired time between saves, something like 15 minutes should be fine.

Autosave saves a file with a .sv$ file extension and erases that when you close without any problems. The .bak is created when you have save a backup set to on and you use the save or qsave function. I think you are out of luck.

I hate doing over work I have already done, I set my autosave time to about 6 minutes.

The default time interval is 10 minutes.

You may be out of luck, but you should definitely locate your AUTOSAVE folder and check, maybe you'll get lucky.

lesson learned!! I changed my autosave to 5 min. however I could not locate an .sv$ file. The work has already been redone, long night last night. For the future where can i find these .sv$ files? And when you say they are deleted when you close without any problems, does that mean they will only be kept if the computer crashes while the drawing is open?

AutoSave.PNG

How's this?

AutoSave is not 100% perfect. There may be times you suffer a crash and AutoCAD does not create an autosave file.

Ctrl+S is only sure way to save your work.

You do not need AutoCrash (a.k.a. AutoSave) for crash recovery, it will automatically create a recover file (in any situation where it will keep a .sv$) in newer versions.

.bak is relevent only if you use Ctrl+S often, so what is the point.

Ctrl+S

Ctrl+S

Ctrl+S

I've never lost over a few minutes work.

Ctrl+S is only sure way to save your work.

You do not need AutoCrash (a.k.a. AutoSave) for crash recovery, it will automatically create a recover file (in any situation where it will keep a .sv$) in newer versions.

The "recover" files are the .sv$ files, the Recovery Manager just appends "_recover" to the .sv$ file filename.

No AutoSave = No _recover files.

lesson learned!! I changed my autosave to 5 min. however I could not locate an .sv$ file. The work has already been redone, long night last night. For the future where can i find these .sv$ files? And when you say they are deleted when you close without any problems, does that mean they will only be kept if the computer crashes while the drawing is open?

Go here for a thorough explanation.

http://cadpanacea.com/autosave

The "recover" files are the .sv$ files, the Recovery Manager just appends "_recover" to the .sv$ file filename.

No AutoSave = No _recover files.

Wrong!! I never use AutoCrash and DO get recover files, try again.

I virtually leave my fingers permanently on ctrl and s when cadding and only ever lost things when the network went wonky. I learned the hard way when using aother CAD software that crashed often so you almost felt you had to save after every command.

Wrong!! I never use AutoCrash and DO get recover files, try again.

Only if AutoCAD crashes in such a manner that allows it to still prompt you to try to save the drawing. If there's a "hard" crash or a power outage, there will no _recover files generated.

Only if AutoCAD crashes in such a manner that allows it to still prompt you to try to save the drawing. If there's a "hard" crash or a power outage, there will no _recover files generated.

AS well could be the case with AutoCrash. I had a co-worker that had Autosave activate when doing an activity in AutoCAD and would crash everytime with no Autosave or option to save.

I usually answer not to save on that, but been a while since I had a crash, I will check and see.

I normally delete recover files as well, as they are useless when you properly save the file.

Ctrl+S is the ONLY way. Argue all you want, but that is IT. All other programs you have to save or lose it. AutoCrash, .bak and recovery manager are wasted resources and should be removed. Probably why Inventor and Solidworks run much smoother than AutoCAD on the same machine.

They are wasted sources right up until the point where you have a problem and then go looking for them as is usually the case.

My files are in the folders I SAVE them to, no need to look.

I think it is totally unprofessional to rely on AutoSAVE and .bak to maintain your work, have them on and use them if you like (AutoSave timer resets when you Qsave anyway), but do not use them as replacements for Qsave (Ctrl+S).

I am glad no one uses Excel or Word in there work, or even Outlook. Saving as you go is part of your job, Do It. Funny, when I worked using other programs without these features, I saved and kept on working and didn't have a problem.

I would rather have more useful features myself.

Unprofessional until disaster strikes and your boss wants to know why you had no plan in place for such emergencies. "But boss, that would be "unprofessional"! That statement would probably be enough to have you shown to the door. LoL

I use MS Access quite a bit. As soon as you enter a new record then move to the next entry the file is saved automatically.