Block Organization

KoTa04

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to AutoCAD.. Basically learning to use it myself because my boss expects an engineer to know a drafter's job :D

I was just beginning to learn about attribute editor and adding text with input commands. Currently working with making a section cut thing that will be capable of revolving, text input, etc.

I am confused as to how saving a drawing file and a block works. Do I have to save individual drawing files with individual blocks (and you can't name the block the same as the dwg. file I noticed.) Or can I make one dwg and save several blocks? I would like to organize my blocks by folder ie. details, elevations, layout, title..

I'm far from it, but I read on the internet that attributes can be opened up in one excel file and easily changed there, and then updated in my drawings. Is this possible in LT and is it useful?

Also, I'm having trouble understanding how to import my block, do I have to import the dwg file?

As you can tell, I'm totally lost, if you guys have suggestions or commands or anything that would be great. I generally read threads and learn new commands and new ways of doing things and that seems to be the most helpful. Also, what is the best way to organize my blocks??

Thanks to anyone who attempts to help!

One can create blocks using the BLOCK command within a drawing. One can also create blocks using the WBLOCK command which writes the block to your hard drive as a DWG file.

It is possible, through the Design Center, to utilize blocks that were created inside a drawing via the BLOCK command. The process is drag-n-drop.

Blocks created using the WBLOCK command are brought into a drawing using the INSERT command.

Blocks can also be placed on a custom palette for insertion into a drawing via the drag-n-drop method.

You do NOT have to "import' or insert an entire drawing just to utilize a block that was created within it. See the reference to the Design Center and custom palette above.

There are at least two or three ways to organize blocks. It all depends on what your working habits are, how organized YOU are, and whether or not you have time to do a little customization.

Thanks ReMark,

Might it be a good starting point to do, say, create a folder "details". then use one dwg file with all my "details" blocks and save the dwg file in the "details" folder. then use the wblock command to individually save blocks into the "details" folder as well?

I would like to think that this would allow me to organize my block locations, and in the future, easily update the blocks I want.

I use the WBLOCK command to write my blocks to disk and before I do I create a folder structure. Example:

Main folder: PID Symbols

Subfolders: Instrumentation, Valves, Tags and Labels, Computer, Piping and Equipment.

I know some people who have a master drawing with all their blocks in it (by group) who then use the Design Center to bring the blocks they need into the drawing they are working on.

Still others create their blocks using the WBLOCK command then populate custom palettes with groups of blocks.

The choice is entirely up to you.

Then use one dwg file with all my "details" blocks this is known as a template you save this as a DWT, you can set your autocad up so when you do a NEW it points to this dwg as the default you do this via CONFIG FILES Template settings, you can have multiple dwt's for different circumstances a blank dwg but with stuff in it. Add you title blocks to layouts so ready for plotting, add all your layers and linetypes, textstyles. Its easier to remove stuff you dont want than to add PURGE.