Penn Foster Oleson Village

cosme017

well, I have to say. that is a great job. I can't wait to get to that point. there is something wrong with my settings, because the lines i draw are NOT registering from the bearings I put in. I have been stuck on this simple problem for days now. I have the wrong settings for the lines, because the lines I draw are not to specs of the inputted bearings. I have used the book, youtube, penn foster guides.....nothing. I know I am going to feel really dumb when I figure out the reason. the crosshair is attached to the line, and when I input the bearings, I hit enter, then I have to click the mouse to get the line, but the bearings are wrong.

It sounds like you are zoomed so close into your drawing that it does not register with you that AutoCAD has already drawn the line. Once you click to "get the line" what you are doing, in effect, is drawing the other end of a line that is connected back off screen where you can't see it.

Do you have Skype and a video camera hooked to your computer? Yes or No?

You do realize that when you draw a line with a distance and bearing you start by clicking on a known point. ONCE THE DISTANCE AND BEARING ARE TYPED ON THE COMMAND LINE AND YOU PRESS THE ENTER KEY THE LINE HAS BEEN DRAWN. There is nothing further to do. The mouse doesn't even have to be in your hand because AutoCAD finishes the line command for you.

ok I have skype, and I installed all my drivers for the webcam. Plus my daughter gave me a quick tutorial for skype.

when i input the bearings, hit enter, then next point, 113..., No line is drawn, in fact I would go through all the bearings (4) after the reference line and still the lines are not drawing. I see 1 line from the benchmark, but when I put in the bearings 113...the line does not move. it stays attached to the crosshairs. this is the same problem i have been having since day one. the line does not draw. I move to move the line in the direction it says and click the mouse then a line draws but it is the wrong bearings.

Then it would be possible for one of us to call the other and establish a video chat. But, instead of pointing the camera at our own faces, we point them at our screens so you can see what I am doing and I could see what you are doing. The only other "distance" option I can think of would be for you to grant me permission to literally take over your computer remotely. It would be like I was sitting at your computer and using your mouse and keyboard. The last time I did this was 10 years ago with a program called PC Anywhere. I'm sure there is something equivalent (and newer) to it today.

OlesonVillageLots456.PNG

Continuing on the student is instructed to create lots 4, 5 and 6. The northern boundary of the buffer area between the back of lots 5 and 6 and SW Kensington Place is also created. Note that the property lines between lots 4/5, 5/6 and the east property line of lot 6 all extend from their origins to the edge of the cul-de-sac. If each were extended they would terminate at the center of the cul-de-sac thus making them very easy to construct.

ok, Mark I finally made some progress. I got the first 2 lines of the boundary. 4 things: first, I am using dynamic input, for some reason it is easier for me to comprehend. second, I am drawing the 3rd line, my bearing is south, but it goes north so I will work on that. third, am I suppose to be using the other layers like boundary, (cyan color) that i set in the beginning or is that later? fourth, I can use skype from another laptop and point it at the screen. my problem is that my webcam is built in the monitor. BUTTTTT, I am finally making progress.

I fail to understand how two lines could go in correctly but the third one couldn't if there were no change to which way is east. You would have had to go to UNITS and enabled "clockwise" angles.

Did you see the PM I sent you?

I am not sure if I am suppose to have that offset line near line 2. I think the road continues from the cul de sac. going north towards sw davies court. do you agree?

nope clockwise is not checked. it has something to do with the dynamic settings. I am sending you a screen shot. things look good though.

ok, so I am getting there, but I have a question. I see all the radius for the sw 85th and the centerline (55 ft) for sw village lane, but what is the radius for the two lines on the north and the south side lines connecting on sw village lane?

From your instructions:

"The northern right-of-way line of SW Village Lane connects to the eastern right-of-way line of SW 85th Avenue with a fillet that has a radius of 30 feet. The southern right-of-way line of SW Village Lane connects to the eastern right-of-way line of SW 85th Avenue, also with a fillet that has a radius of 30 feet."

I have that. Its the lines the connect in the middle of sw village lane.(fillet) The center line is 55 degrees, but the question is posed for the north and south lines. Also the sidewalk has a different color (cyan) that is represented in the table 1 layers, but when i use the Offset for the lines it doesnt change color.

You do not fillet centerlines of roads only streetlines, curbs, and walks.

You can't offset to another layer. You'll have to change the line's layer property (via the Properties palette or Quick Properties) or use Match Properties.