How to Automate, The drawing issue process? help...

tukangreka

Hi,

Could anyone help me out with this issue I have. I'd like to create a routine that would help me issue drawings, only I am only just learning autolisps so it is rather confusing. The process is just to much when done manually. The steps that I usually do are bind all xrefs,

purge then save the drawing with an added revision number at the end for instance drawingname_P1.dwg to an issue folder.

Then print of a pdf with the same extension. It would be great if someone could guide me through the process or has a lisp that we could use as a basis. I have one that seems to work but not exactly.

thanks

I am aware that this is not exactly what you are asking for, but there are 2 options within the program which you might want to investigate, those being AUTOPUBLISH and ETRANSMIT. Each of them has a number of configurable parameters to customize how it works for you.

Clearly a custom lisp could do much more than these native solutions.

I've seen a few lisps floating around this forum (do a search) that bind and purge when saving and could perhaps be modified etc.

I agree with dagad about the use of the publish and etransmit features, both save a lot of time and are extremely useful. However, one thing to note when asking staff to use the etransmit feature (or if training them) is to ensure that they untick the checkboxes of any digital signature image files of staff if you use these to sign off on the plans (prevents clients obtaining digital image copies of signatures - I know they could create them themselves from a pdf file etc although it is unprofessional to send them in image file to who knows who in my opinion).

Further to Dinks suggestion, search here for pdf fairly recent posts there is lisp code for plotting layouts just add at the start of these programs the purge xref stuff one menu pick and all done.

Thanks guys,

Auto publish and e-transmit, they both seem very promising. Although I would still have to type in each revision number as I go. I would also need to make sure that whoever is using it is doing the right thing. But it still wins over trying to figure out the lisp that I have. I was thinking I could use these two tools as a basis to start with seeing they shall forever be with cad. And in the meantime figure out how to lisp from the start.

The script PDF anyhow seems very usefull thanks. What is the difference between scripting and lisp's? So there are two ways to configure cad? Plus the. Macros. That makes it three ways.

Bigal, where might I find the PDF you were talking about.

Lastly could you guys suggest a workflow using auto publish and e-transmit when issuing drawings?

Tukangreka, what you're trying to do has already been well thought out with the adoption of the Sheet Set Manager. The way you're wanting to do it, however, is not the way the Sheet Set Manager works and to be honest, is not the best approach at all in documenting revisions. Not only will it clutter your production drawing folder, but it gives other users a way of editing older revision drawing files (whether it be intentional or accidental).

Revisions are a manual process, regardless. AutoCAD, nor any customized routine, cannot know when it's time to honor the sheet as a revision. The Sheet Set Manager definitely helps though. Sheet Set Manager also has an archive tool, so when you have a revision package done, it can be archived so that the next round of additions and/or changes can be modified right away without delay.

As for workflows, when using the PUBLISH option here's a few good tips:

1. Revisit your Sheet Templates for plotting. Review them, sharpen them up, and add saved Page Setups. Think intuitively on this as a small change can go a long way.
  2. Save Publish files as a DSD in a folder of your choosing for future plots. Makes life MUCH easier to call upon save Published files so you don't have to "re-import" sheets to print.
  3. Use the built-in PDF plotter for creating PDF's. This way you can create one PDF document with all sheets, or each PDF file is a single sheet file with uncanny ease. It can be all automated with AutoCAD's built-in PDF plotter.

As for eTransmit workflow, its pretty self explanatory if you explore the options in the eTransmit Dialog Box. Choose to your liking and/or requirements. Hope this helps. :)

Stykface, thanks. To be honest I really don't have the patience for coding and I think the sheet manager will do just what I want. Might need some time to getting used to but I think it will be well worth it. Been reading up on ssm and have found that its very well laid out!

Will post an outcome when I have something decent. Thanks again everyone.