AutoCAD to 3ds Max Design Round-tripping

3D generator

I'm working on a staircase with a decorative panel design.

I'd like to export the model to 3ds Max Design, convert the solid model to a mesh and then bend the mesh to follow a horizontal radius of curvature. Once that's done I'd like to be able to convert it back into a solid and import it back into AutoCAD.

Has anyone had any success with this type of workflow?

I’m working on a staircase with a decorative panel design. I’ve attached some images to give you an idea of the scope of work involved.

I’d like to export the model to 3ds Max Design, convert it into a mesh and then bend the decorative panel to fit different horizontal radii of curvature. Once this is done I’d like to convert the panel back into a solid and import the results back into AutoCAD.

Has anyone had any success with this workflow?

Thanks!

2012-01-26-Bradley Residence Staircase Update.pdf

Completed Guardrail.jpg

Sorry! I hit enter at one point the first go round and the dialog box disapeared. I didn't know it posted until after my second attempt posted.

Thanks, khama, good tip!

Okay, I’m so close to solving this I can taste it!

I exported my AutoCAD staircase 3d model to FBX and then imported it into 3ds Max Design. I deleted all of the geometry except the decorative panel that I want to manipulate with the bend modifier. I then grouped the geometry together and applied a subdivide modifier before applying the bend modifier. I read online that this helps the bend modifier work.

Anyway, I can get the panel to bend in every direction except the one that I need to bend it in. Go figure! Here’s what I’m talking about:

Panel Bend 1: Bending in X axis works as expected.

Panel Bend 2: Bending in Z axis works as expected.

Panel Bend 3: Bending in Y axis does this. What is happening here?!

I suspect I need to manipulate the UCS in order for the bend modifier to work correctly but I don’t have a clue how to do that.

Please help me solve this, it will save me hours of work if I can bend this panel to the various horizontal radii of the staircase. Thanks!

Panel Bend 1.jpg

Panel Bend 2.jpg

Panel Bend 3.jpg

I’ve solved this problem but not with the Bend modifier but rather the PathDeform modifier.

This modifier allows you to draw a path, in this case an arc, and then deform the object along that path. Please see the attached screen capture for more information.

The resulting curved panel is then exported to FBX and imported into AutoCAD as a mesh. Unfortunately, you can’t convert the mesh back into a solid but the results are still usable. Please see attached screen captures for the results.

The good news is that the PathDeform modifier in 3ds Max Design is fully parametric meaning all I have to do is tweak the radius of the arc and the panel follows suit! This technique will save me countless hours trying to pull off the same thing manually.

I can live with the slight degradation of the geometric integrity. I don’t think it will even matter when I render it all in 3ds Max anyway.

I played around with the Subdivide and Optimize modifiers in 3ds Max to see if I could get the mesh to be smoother but I didn’t have any luck with it. If anyone knows how to do this I’d appreciate a heads up!

Thanks.

AutoCAD Import from 3ds Max Design.pdf

3ds Max Design Path Deform Modifier.pdf

I just found out that the Bend modifier will work if you change the direction to 90 and use the X axis. I still like the PathDeform modifier better since you can specify the exact radius.

Bend Modifier.jpg

Path Deform Modifier.jpg