I have a Dynamic Block that I just created but it's not working right.

Am I asking too much from my Dynamic Block?

Here's what I want it to do:

Stretch (with it's middle hatched polyline)

Rotate (keeping the center of the rotation at the base of my block)

Stretch after rotating without skewing (which it's currently doing)

Please, oh please take a look at my file and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

*Before I made it a block I stretched it using the stretch tool and found that the filled polyline does stretch and fill along with the rest of the object.

Thanks!

Dynamic Block.dwg

The Hatch doesn't appear to be associative, and I believe the skewing is because the Rotate Action is included in the Rotate Action selection set.

The hatch cannot be made associative, nestly. As soon as I click "YES" it says it's not applicable. My rotate works correctly now but the stretch still wants to skew after I rotate.

I appreciate the response, nestly.

I just played with your block and swapped the linear stretch for a polar stretch. It works but only so long as you use the polar tracking which isn't ideal as you may accidentally stretch it slightly off of the angle you wanted.

Glen1980,

I played around with polar stretch as well but you have to stay in the exact angle you want it or it will definitely skew. Thanks for replying!

One workaround I can think off is:

1. Remove the rotate action.
  2. Rotate the block around 90 CCW so it lines through with the X axis.
  3. When you want to rotate the block, click the pick box hit enter twice, then you go from move to rotate.

Not quite as easy as a dynamic block but you would always stretch in a straight line and that is the bit you can't do to a block, whereas you can always rotate a block in a drawing.

Edit- Rotating the block is so when you hit enter twice the block goes where the mouse points.

The hatch cannot be made associative, nestly. As soon as I click "YES" it says it's not applicable. My rotate works correctly now but the stretch still wants to skew after I rotate.

I appreciate the response, nestly.

I'm using 2011, but I just recreated the solid hatch and made it associative and removed the Rotate Action from the selection set, it did everything you originally described.

Dynamic Block-1.dwg

Edited by nestly

nestly,

It works superbly! I appreciate the help. Now I just need to recreate what you did so I don't have the same mistake again.

Brandon "I'm unsure of my block" Bankston