need help to make this roof pls

olsi

I could approximate the roof using surfaces created via the Loft command but I have to stop now. My dinner is getting cold. This is all I have so far...

roof plan 1.jpg

You get the picture don't you? Good luck.

For starters, the hips (corners) are all at 45 deg. This means the surfaces meeting at these corners are at the same pitch or angle. I'd say 7 1/2 in 12 pitch is it, since the strange manner in which the pitch is indicated says 32 deg. That works out to 7.49 something something in 12. Only an Architect would specifiy roof pitch in degrees rather than the way it's been done since King Zoser in 2750 BC had his step pyramid start falling down on him.

There are two missing surface joint lines. One from the westernmost radius tangent point to the peak of the roof and one from the left side of the south roof plane to the ridge junction just below the highest point. The one at the tangent is not "really" visible but you will need it. The framing changes radically at this line.

Edited by Dana W

There is something wrong with the drawing. I am assuming the 0.00 m callout and the 2.19 m callout are indicating the elevation change or height of the roof from edge of eave to the highest point of the peak. That is not enough, by far. However, projecting that part of the roof in elevation, using 32 deg pitch:x, I arrived at an elevation change of 421.7868 units which happen to be inches in Nestly's version. That's nearly 11 meters. That is really big. Of course the thing is over 42 m long. What is this, the Indoor Skating Pavilion at the 2014 Winter Olympics? I've never seen the Baltic. It should be fun.

Another thing. That round thing projecting out from the north side, what is that? Maybe remark has it right and it has to be lifted as he shows. There must be more missing lines there. Otherwise that part of the roof would hang down rather low and look really weird. If it is on a ranch style single level most people would have to duck real low to get under it.

I am guessing that the round thing is one of those tacky flat roofed portico thingies with the useless railing around it. That would fit with the rest of the typical Georgian/contemporary/tudor/early suburban/french country revival style of the rest of the thing. I really hate these horrible afterthought roof designs. It is called "Whatever fits my floor plan, and make it a hip roof by gawd!". I especially hate them when they put a fireplace way out on the perimeter so code will require 20 feet or so of free standing chimney above the roof.

Sorry, I didn't expect to post three consecutive times. I can't think of everything at once and nobody is keeping up. In fact, I am not doing a good job of thinking at all, at the moment.

It may be ‘percent grade’ for the slope, i e., 100 * Rise/Run.

So, if 32% grade, it would be 17.75 degrees, or in - American home building - a 3.84 pitch.

It's been a days since I studied Descriptive Geometry... and even then some roofs gave me a headache. your's olsi also is like one painfull enough with small "mistakes" on floor plan that make your roof go crazy.

This is best I could do by drawing it. I also have send you dwg with 3d model made with Roof/Polyroof tool in ArchiCAD (which I prefer to use ever since I don't need to turn any papers to my professor of DG :D).

I see that there are some mistakes either I made or the roof tool. But none the less this will give you much better perspective to go reverse engineering with it.

(Use layon on your drawing to see more) :wink:

muurr roof plan.dwg

roof plan 3D.dwg

It may be ‘percent grade’ for the slope, i e., 100 * Rise/Run.

So, if 32% grade, it would be 17.75 degrees, or in - American home building - a 3.84 pitch.

You are correct, it is percent. 32% would be 4/12 here in redneck land because framing carpenters don't like parts of an inch. I was not using my glasses last night. Shoulda known better.

I'm pretty sure there are some lines missing. This is what I get using solids and intersect.

I might try again tomorrow and add some things to it.

roof.jpg

So where do you stand on this olsi? Haven't heard a peep from you since you started this thread. Did you give up and change careers?

So where do you stand on this olsi? Haven't heard a peep from you since you started this thread. Did you give up and change careers?

Since his homework assignment has been completed for him, you most likely will not be hearing back until he needs some more homework. :thumbsup: