Strange Blocks

qball

I have a couple drawing files and when I go to Block Edit, it has these blocks in there and I don't know what they are.

All layers are on and thawed.

I purged and they still show up in the dialog box.

I erased everything on the screen and they still show.

I chose to edit one of the blocks in Block Editor and nothing shows up on the screen, Erase All - 0 found.

I think the solution is Wblock out to a new file, but I'm curious what they are and where they came from.

block.JPG

Try the Lights command. The AVE_RENDER block appears when you shade something. If there are any lights in the drawing, delete them and purge again.

When I get "odd" blocks (such as AVE_RENDER) I used to draw a long diagonal line on the screen and use that to redefine the block. You can then see where they are and then decide whether to erase them and purge or put them back how they are.

When I get "odd" blocks (such as AVE_RENDER) I used to draw a long diagonal line on the screen and use that to redefine the block. You can then see where they are and then decide whether to erase them and purge or put them back how they are.

I've used this trick a number of times as well and can attest to its effectiveness. I use a large circle though.

The ADCADD_ZZ block originated with SoftDesk, and was involved with a method of storing information in the drawing.

The Wblock method is a very good way of getting rid of it.

• Like 1

Your method works Dave. After the first one I was sure that they were empty blocks so I used Qselect to erase the rest. There was anywhere from 12 to 84 instances.

Cyber: these blocks appeared on a title block that was created before I was at this company. Typically we don't do anything with rendering, but it must have snuck in there somehow.

Thanks.

• 9 years later...

Yes, it's ten years later. I found this solution some time ago, but now it can be told.

If you have strange layers or blocks in your drawing, use the command ATTDISP and set the ON option. We just got a survey with 450 invisible blocks. When I turned the attributes on, it looked like this:

2090604723_Hiddenattributes.png.f45c7b9a39c0c5650c0c4c20b79fceb6.png

Once you can see those strange blocks, you can delete them. Once the blocks are gone, you can purge those strange layers. Typical block names are DTM_DEF, ADCADD_ZZ,. PROJ_NAME, ROAD_DEF, and LOT_DEFS. A typical layer name is DCA_INFO. These are artifacts from the Softdesk and LDD days.

• Like 1

Interesting. I have some old drawings that may be plagued with this. Hopefully I can remember this thread next time I go into those.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...