installing glass in a 3d model of a greenhouse

learnfast

hello to you all.please help me i would like to know if there are just glass panels so i can install them in a 3d model of a greenhouse and if so how to install them.i am looking forward to your replys.

I would use the align or 3dalign command. (might be align3d - I don't recall that much about AutoCAD anymore)

Oh wait, you are using ACA..... someone else will come along with vertical information.

Hopefully you are working with solids. If so just make a plate of the dimensions you need out of a solid, add a glass material and make it a block. Then insert it to you hearts content.

hello and thanks for your reply.yes i am working with 3d solid when you say make a plate is that just what i would call a panel in between the timbers where the glass would go.and when you say make it a block is that in the plate/panels properties and change linetype and lineweight.and also do i hatch or render.many thanks for your reply and looking forward to your reply.

Yes the glass plate is the panel that you would create, to the required size such as 1/4x24x36 or the equivalent metric dimensions. No need to change linetype or lineweights as you will be creating this as a solid body. Once created you will need to attach a glass material to the plate. You then will need to make the part into a block and then repeatedly insert the block into the model. If you are not familiar with using blocks and inserts you need to be. The help file will be a good start and additional questions can of course be asked in the appropriate forums.

Depending on your desired output you would not hatch unless perhaps you need to show a 2d elevation view after converting the model to a 3d drawing or in some other way display your model as a 2d view. For perspective or isometric views you will render.

many thanks after a couple of frustrating hours i finaly sorted it out.once again thanks for your input

Well that certainly doesn't correlate with your chosen name. :lol: The exercise will come in handy for you, working with block and inserts are essential methods for efficient AutoCAD work. There are a number of tricks to learn with blocks, not the least of which are properly assigning base points, and layer/color/linetype designations.

You are entirely welcome.

greenhouse.JPG hello and thanks for all your help it only took me a week to do. now i know it can be done faster and better but i have only been working with autocad for a week so i think it is quite good.i now have the autocad for dummies guide so i can read up and with all your help i should be ok

due to a series of unfortunate events i could not reply anyways i did manage to finish this in only 2-4 hours of total use

typical glass frame is set up and waterproofed with sillicon or a similar type of sealant.

hmm... give me your opinion is the "greenhouse" structurally stable?

my answer is no, but give me your opinion

dimensions 35*15 slab 6" thickness "standard for commercial projects

top of slab @ 0' above sea level "0 elevation"

Aluminum material

.5" thick plastic Ehh i could not think of a way to incorporate a door yet :(

Max height estimated at 10' to 10' 6"

the 4 corners are almost solid they just have a -.5" inset for the glass...

the rest are all 4x4, technically since the glass splits them down the middle its

4 lenght by 1.75"

frame greenhouse.jpg

Capture.jpg