View rotation in ms and ps

Using AutoCad LT 2011. I rotated my entire drawing in model space from 0,0 so that my object is square with my view. (Maybe I should have rotated the x,y coord instead though don't quite understand this). Now when I go to my PS viewport, my image is rotated so that it is no longer square on my view the way I wanted it. And the x,y symbol is rotated. And my crosshairs are rotated also. How do I fix this. Either by backing up and unrotating my drawing and rotating the x,y in MS or my rotating the VP in paper space.

Get your UCSicon to look "normal" by typing UCS, press Enter, type "W" for World, press Enter.

To get your objects back to their original angle why not just rotate them, in the opposite direction, based on the angle you used to get them square to your view in the first place? Ex. - If you rotated the objects 62 deg to get them square to your view rotate them back minus 62 degree to their original position.

You did make note of the angle of rotation didn't you? Don't tell me you didn't write it down.

Thanks ReMark - I could rotate it bac (yes I did write the rotation angle and the rotatio point down) but if I do that, it will look fine in my PS window but will no longer be rotated to that angle in MS (except when I go into MS from PS (if that makes sense.) I guess I am wondering why, if I had rotated it in MS to get the rotation angle view that I wanted, why is it rotating back in the PS mode.

ReMark (or anyone) - a bit more info - I noticed that when I am in the MS mode (not in the MS view in PS) my xy angle (I guess this is the UCS icon in the lower left) shows a rotation. I rotated my objects back to what was 'normal' but it did not affect the icon. That seems to be the problem. When I go to PS, it automatically rotateds the icon to normal which rotates my object in the window. And this rotation has nothing to do with the rotation angle I had rotatted the object in MS. I went to the MS mode and typed UCS and the W for worod but it did not move. Thoughts?

Thoughts? Yes. One.

Rotate the view in paper space and ignore what is going on in model space. You won't be printing from model space.

For further information about rotating views in layout viewports consult your AutoCAD Help files. Search on the words rotate views. You have two options which are explained in the Help file.

ReMark-first thanks for your patience, I know I seem a bit confused. Again, what I now realize is that my problem has nothing to do with how I rotated my drawing. It has to do with the fact that my UCS in MS is rotated (I realize now the UCS was rotated when I got the drawing and I do not have communication with the person that did it). So what I need to know is how I rotate the UCS symbol back to square - to 90 degrees in MS. As I said, I typed UCS and W but nothing happened.

confusion is the first step on the path to enlightenment.

Hope I don't add more confusion by this:

The UCS shown in PS relates to the paperspace, while the UCS icon shown in model space relates to modelspace.

Try following:

go to PS

double click inside viewport

type "ucsman" - enter (UCS manager opens)

select settings

checkmark the "Update view to plan when UCS is changed"

click OK

type "UCS" - "OB"

select left end of line object that you want to be square with the PS (the drawing view will rotate)

double click outside viewport

Dit this help?

I hope:sweat:

Using AutoCad LT 2011. I rotated my entire drawing in model space from 0,0 so that my object is square with my view. (Maybe I should have rotated the x,y coord instead though don't quite understand this).

Some background. UCS means Universal Coordinate System. AutoCAD has to have an origin point and XY axes to keep track of objects, and you can't change those reference points. You can, however, create a new origin and new axes to help you keep track.

An example. In my work, we'll get a site plan with north on the Y axis and an origin based on state plane coordinates. Then we'll get an architect's floor plan that is oriented to building north, which usually doesn't correspond to magnetic north. I do my basic work in the world (AutoCAD) coordinate system, but I rotate the plans in the viewports because the architect wants them in building north.

The moral is that you do your work in the real world (model space) and then translate it onto your plans (paper space).

To answer your question. Rotate your objects in model space so that they are aligned the way you want them. Go to the layout, set up your viewport they way you want it, and make sure it's unlocked. Double-click on the viewport to enter model space (or however you like to do that). Type UCS. To rotate your view, type Z. It's not listed as an option, but it does what you want: rotate the coordinate system around the Z axis. Type 90 (or however many degrees) and Enter. Your icon will change to reflect the new XY axes. Type Plan and Enter to change to the current UCS. Pan and zoom as needed. Go back to paper space, set your viewport scale, lock the viewport, and you're done.

Thanks CyberAngel - I will have to think a bit about how I back track in how my drawing setup has evolved (quite a mess by now I might add). But if I understand you correctly, then I assume that all of your text is put into PS, since if I understand correctly, your work is drawn in real life with magnetic north up in MS and you have rotated your viewport so that your plan reads as rotated so that the building is oriented to what you called building north.

ReMark (or anyone) - a bit more info - I noticed that when I am in the MS mode (not in the MS view in PS) my xy angle (I guess this is the UCS icon in the lower left) shows a rotation. I rotated my objects back to what was 'normal' but it did not affect the icon. That seems to be the problem. When I go to PS, it automatically rotateds the icon to normal which rotates my object in the window. And this rotation has nothing to do with the rotation angle I had rotatted the object in MS. I went to the MS mode and typed UCS and the W for worod but it did not move. Thoughts?

Also use PLAN, World after you do the UCS, World. In the viewport in the layout you probably have UCSFOLLOW set to 1 and that is why it is rotating for you in there.

I think the questions everyone is trying to get answered are: Do you want your model rotated? Was your model at an angle from the start? Do you need the viewport to show the modelspace rotated in order to display it and or plot it?

I believe you are correct rkent. But I still need to figure my current situation out. Here is what I did and where I am at now - I unrotate my drawing in ms. the ucs show a rotation from the typical 90 degrees so I restored it to world which brought it back to 90. But now the cross hairs are rotated which I assumed who ever rotated the usc did so that they were working square to the new ucs angle. SO, how do I now rotate the crosshairs to match the world ucs?

Then, since I like to work in the rotation angle that I am going to plot my drawing at, I guess I can rotate the ms window in the ps viewport so that I don't mess with the original location in ms, if that makes sense. How do I rotate the ms window to the angle I want to work at and plot at?

First confirm that SNAPANG is set to zero. I am guessing that that was changed.

In 2011 rotating the viewport by default will rotate the display of MS, notice it won't rotate the model objects, just a display of it. If the angle is something other than 90 then you will simply input that value during the rotate command, again rotating the viewport in layout. If the angle is one with lots of decimal places you can use rotate with the reference option or use the align command. You can snap to objects in MS through the viewport to accomplish that, don't make the viewport current just use an osnap like endpoint and grab the endpoint of the MS object.

jrn

That is exactly what I needed. I still think I have more to learn about the consiquences of rotating objects in a vp but this, in conjunction with a few other changes I had to make from other suggestions, gave me what I needed. Thanks to all. I will say I have been working with Cad for over 15 years but in the past, I had someone in the offices that I was in, make adjustments like this. And they were never that clear about or tried to explain what they had done. Especially when it came to rotating within vps or with rotations of ucs. It always seemed a mystery. I I was always more concerned with design rather than the functions and inner workings of Cad. I have to admit, it still is somewhat of a mystery but when you are struggling through it on your own and trying different suggestions people are making, you learn much more. Thanks to all. Hope I can help someone in the future.:)

One thing skipped here you can save multiple ucs's and give them names so in any viewport you can always change to what ever 3d angle you want. Why not a dwt with u90.

Multiple viewports can have an individual ucs but different for every viewport eg ucs r road1 plan

UCS restore saved ucs road1 and plan does a zoom extents of that ucs. Then scale as required. Road2 would be a different angle.

We normally use ucs obj to pick an object for our orientation desired its a bit simpler than 62degs we never rotate a model (survey data) but swing it using a new ucs knowing we can at any time go back to true ground co-ords, ucs w we ignore often the rotated cross hairs as we are listing true co-ord details. And just flip between the two ucs.

Thanks BIGAL, etal

This thread has been vary enlightening. I can see that much of my confusion revolved around how the drawing had been manipulated before I recieved it. And I now have it set the way I want. And I have a much better understanding of UCS and even the snap angle command tool. I understand what you are saying about not rotating the survey. This always made me nervous, messing with the survey. I now see that with UCS you can get the same effect. I think I still need to read more and experiment more with this to totally understand its uses and consequences, but this have been invaluable. Thanks to all.

Something I forgot when using ucs ob if you pick a line that has two different end z values your ucs is actually on a weird slope, so to make sure we normally draw a line and make sure it has both ends at 0.0 got caught out combining data from different dwgs they didn't line up.