Creating Viewports in Templates?

cronos47

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology, but I can't find a simple answer to this question on google so far. I am trying to make a new template, and I made a block that included our title block, set up the page preferences, added a viewport to it, and saved it as a DWT. However when I create a new drawing based off of that template, I try to go into the model space from paper space (so I can position it to show what is in the model space, it complains:

There are no active Model space viewports.

Which is quite annoying because I did indeed create one. Am I not able to put a viewport into a template and expect it to be used in a normal drawing? Do I have to make my own viewport each time I load a new drawing based off of the template?

So, why is this saying my viewport isn't there, and how can I fix it?

As I know you can not open view port in a block, so yes you should create new view port if you want to show your solid into paper space.

I always do this for my shop drawings too. Recreate the view port above the template block.

It's not saying your viewport isn't there, just that it's inactive. Viewports act like this when opened from a template, or cut & pasted between drawings / layouts. You have to select your viewport outline, right-click, and set "Display Viewport Objects" to Yes.

It sounds like your viewport is part of the block, which you don't want. If the viewport is set in the template file then it should work when using it to start a drawing.

Do you have that file specified to be used when creating a file or do you navigate to it each time when starting a new drawing?

It's not saying your viewport isn't there, just that it's inactive. Viewports act like this when opened from a template, or cut & pasted between drawings / layouts. You have to select your viewport outline, right-click, and set "Display Viewport Objects" to Yes.

I don't know about cronos47's template but this is mine.

TEMPLATE.jpg

template.dwg

ica_cici, what rkent says is correct:

It sounds like your viewport is part of the block, which you don't want. If the viewport is set in the template file then it should work when using it to start a drawing.........

You have your viewport included within the block that makes up your border and title block, so it won't work without exploding that block.

But reading through cronos47's post, I believe they have a viewport contained in the template which is not part of a block, in which case my original advice would make it active. However, until they confirm this, it's all just supposition and guesswork on our part. :unsure:

...But reading through cronos47's post, I believe they have a viewport contained in the template which is not part of a block, in which case my original advice would make it active. However, until they confirm this, it's all just supposition and guesswork on our part. :unsure:

Yeah you are right bonehead411, just wait for the confirmation.:)