Compass bearings

Treehugger

Can anyone explain how I translate compass bearings taken in the field to position points on the page. I am shooting the positions of trees from a control point with a laser rangefinder with inbuilt compass. The resultant reading gives distance and azimuth - how do I plot this point in autocad?

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Can anyone explain how I translate compass bearings taken in the field to position points on the page. I am shooting the positions of trees from a control point with a laser rangefinder with inbuilt compass. The resultant reading gives distance and azimuth - how do I plot this point in autocad?

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

How many readings are you talking about? If it's just a handful then I'd probably just draw construction lines from your control point using the distance and angles ( see this thread for inputting distance and angles).

if you have lots of readings then that might be a bit long winded, so you could convert the readings into coordinates, either calculate them yourself (which isn't much fun) or you can use a free program such as Forward/Inverse by Mentor Software to calculate the coordinates, then just add points or blocks at those coords.

Assuming by azimuth you mean the angle right from north...

In Units set your angle Clockwise; set your direction North

Again an assumption that your base point is 0,0...

you can draw a pline from the base point as such (distance =100, azimuth= 75 degrees)

Command: pline

Specify start point: 0,0

Current line-width is 0.0000

Specify next point or [Arc/Halfwidth/Length/Undo/Width]: @100

or if you want a point, you can use From

Command: point

Current point modes: PDMODE=3 PDSIZE=0.0000

Specify a point: from

Base point: 0,0

: @100

Thank you for the quick responses.

Very helpfull indeed.

Thanks for the links H'Angus. I am going to check out the forward/inverse software.

regards

Treehugger