Sheet Metal how to make Rolled Cone?

pinco pallino

How to make a Rolled Cone?

I made the cone in the pic. as a surface in Part mode by revolving a line around an origin axis. Thicken offset and brought it in as a derived part in sheet metal mode but... Can't get flat pattern.

Can't figure out how to make it in Sheet Metal Mode instead of Part Mode.

.Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

cone.JPG

I find it easier to revolve a cone using an offset line for the thickness in a part file .ipt (revolve at less then "FULL" I use angle 359).

Convert to Sheet Metal and set the thickness in Sheet Metal Defaults to whatever my offset was.

Then flat pattern if needed.

cone2.png

con3.png

cone_flat.png

KC

Thicken offset and brought it in as a derived part in sheet metal mode but... Can't get flat pattern.

You did not need to do a derived part. You can flatten the cone in the original part. In either case you need to make sure the sheet metal properties is set to the same thickness, especially when using the Derived Component double check the properties.

I almost always use your method rather than KC's method (especially if there are intersecting holes). Actually there are other methods as well in Inventor 2010.

Attach your original part or your derived part here and I'll tell you where you went wrong (I'm betting sheet metal styles properties). Another trick that is often needed is to click face before unfolding.

Convert to Sheet Metal

Eureka eureka. It worked.

Thanks KC. “Convert to Sheet Metal” was the vital key. I never used this command before, I didn't know it existed!

Thanks JD “click face before unfolding”. That did the trick. I wouldn't ever thought of that.

Have a good weekend