extension line problem

dusko

can you please check the jpg and tell me how to suppress this ext line (pointed with magenta leader).

i know that i can do it in DIMSTYLE - suppress Ext 1 or Ext 2.

or i know that i can do it in properties Ext line ON/OFF.

but what i don't know why this ext line is happening when i do arc dimensioning!? how to avoid this?

thank you!

Stol.jpg

What command are you using that gives you the result shown above? Radius? Arc length? Other?

I can't seem to reproduce the anomoly.

OK...I just reproduced the affect. As soon as one picks off of the actual arc itself AutoCAD will produce an arc extension line.

yes if i do it with diameter or radius it is the same.

OK...I just reproduced the affect. As soon as one picks off of the actual arc itself AutoCAD will produce an arc extension line.

i don't understand what is the problem and how i could fix it or it is just an anomaly!?

Look at the picture below.

On the left is an arc with its radius called out in a normal fashion. The leader points directly to the arc.

On the right is the same arc. However, I've picked off of the arc itself therefore AutoCAD draws an extension line that mimics the curve of the arc. If your extension line offset is so small as to be nearly invisible then this extension line appears to be just a continuation of the arc.

Do you understand now?

Arc_Dim_Ext.jpg

yes i understand...but the problem is that i'm not picking up off of the arc. check dwg and try to do radius dimensioning on green arc and then on blue arc.

Stol.dwg

Using your current dimstyle create a child style for radius

dimensions. Pick New and at the bottom of that dialog pick the down arrow and select Radius Dims from the drop down list. Modify the radial style by suppressing extension line 1, set DIMTMOVE to 1, set DIMATFIT to 1. Then depending on how you want the dim text to appear set those choices under the text tab.

thank you!

this is the step where i have to learn more about "child style" for radius.

one more thing. why this is happening if this is not standard? i think that this dwg was created from start as acadiso file and nothing "extra" was changed in dimstyle.

I think you have bigger concerns.

Did you know that you have duplicate lines overlaying most of your geometry? Where did you get this drawing? I'm assuming you did not create it. Please tell me you didn't.

thank you!

this is the step where i have to learn more about "child style" for radius.

one more thing. why this is happening if this is not standard? i think that this dwg was created from start as acadiso file and nothing "extra" was changed in dimstyle.

My assumption is that the extension is an ANSI standard so the default is to have the extension.

What is the object you're dimensioning? I hope it isn't anything you're going to try to fabricate as I can see problems with some of the arcs. Unless of course your manufacturing standards read "close enough is good enough".

You have 20 arc segments. Will you be providing full data for all of them and not just the radius?

no this is not my drawing. i was asked for help.

this dwg represent wooden table board and it will be used for cutting on cam system.

i'm not familiar with standard dxf preparation for cad/cam usage but i do know that double arcs are not good. i didn't notice that before. i see that curve is broken but she said that it doesn't matter because this is going to be a table for theater set.

if this extension is ansi standard than this is what confused me.

thank you both for help!

where i can find what are the drawing standard requests for cad/cam preparation!?