What does a Sprinkler System look like on cad floor plan?

exodusms

I am designing a restaurant for a cad class. One of the requirements is I need to add a Sprinkler system to my cad drawing. I can not find out what this should look like and the teacher never told us.

Please can anyone point me in the right direction to finish this sprinkler system. Even if all you can do is show me what the sprinkler symbol is that would be great. Thanks so much.

Judging by what our contractor in the past submitted the floor plan is screened, to lighten it up, and the sprinkler piping is shown as a solid black line. The sprinkler "head" (where the water comes out) is depicted as a small open circle (use the Donut command). Spacing is another issue though. From what I recall the heads have a 10 ft. radius as far as coverage goes and this helps determine the placement of the heads.

We do have a couple of forum members who work in the sprinkler system field and they may be able to provide you with better advice. Hang in there...help is on the way (I hope).

if you pm me you email address i can send you a drawing for a sprinkler layout in a small shop unit, should give you an idea, bear in mind this will be a uk drawing.

Here's a bit of reading to get you started.

http://cool.conservation-us.org/waac/wn/wn16/wn16-3/wn16-309.html#fn3

More chapters available on the www, all good reading.

Residential or commercial fire fighting systems?

Water and/or chemistry?

Need a system with antifreeze, yet another consideration.

Piping size, sprinkler coverage, water pressure, alarms, pumps, a lot of engineering thought has to be used to design a fail-safe system.

Interesting subject.

Sprinkler-VK436.dwg

exodusms, welcome to the forums.

You can PM me, I have a two story house sprinkler system, two drawings.

Both too large to post here.

I also have a restaurant sprinkler system, four *.dwg files, also too large

to post.

I am designing a restaurant for a cad class. One of the requirements is I need to add a Sprinkler system to my cad drawing. I can not find out what this should look like and the teacher never told us.

Please can anyone point me in the right direction to finish this sprinkler system. Even if all you can do is show me what the sprinkler symbol is that would be great. Thanks so much.

Well, symbols were easy enough. :wink:

Sprinkler-Symbols.dwg

Restaurant?

Better be careful. The area where the patrons are might be serviced by a system that uses water BUT the kitchen could be a different story. Water and grease do not mix well. If there are fry-o-lators for instance a foam or a CO2 system might be required.

Sorry. It just dawned on me this morning upon returning to work.

The short answer is it looks like a mess. Basically you show the riser locations in the fire riser room. Next you draw the main lines and the branch lines off of that that supply the heads with water as well as the head locations. Next you show and drops needed get through and ceiling or under and obstructions. Next you would size all cut lengths of piping for Grove-Grove(G-G) there is no math involved as it is connected by a coupler but if you have a Thread-Grove(T-G) you have to take out for the threaded fitting. Also you need to notate the pipe size ie. 6" 4" ect..

Next you need to determine if it will require and seismic bracing if so you need to notate that on the drawing where applicable. Also you need to show the pipe hanger locations. You than need to call out the hazard type and system sizes. You will also need to notate and elevations as well as slope directions. You than need to notate is the system is a dry or wet system or a water, halon, co2, or foam. Now you need to dimension all of your mains and branch lines from outside walls. Also need to show test and drain locations.

This is basicly what you draw in what you would refer to as your "design" drawing. You would still need a civil plan, riser room detail, and several others as well.

I know is is an over kill but I hope it answers your questions.

ReMark touched on kitchen requirements, I've seen the CO2 systems in use. Good point.

Peek-a-boo at the attached *.dwg, the inspector says it all.

Remember when fire escapes were first required? A terrible

fire in NYC's garment industry, killed hundreds of women in a shirt factory. Too bad sprinkler systems weren't in use, or perhaps even thought of.

In NYC, and elsewhere, I have many tanks holding water in basements of buildings to supply the initial water needed in the event the sprinklers go on. This prevents a low pressure event, just in case the neighboring building needs water too. I think the requirement was 10 minutes of reserve water on hand at all times. :)

Sprinklers_Save_Lives.dwg

Sounds like Seath has been there before. TANKS for the info Seath!

We all learn more every day. Nice.

I just took a peak at an inspection outlet, and, the water riser. Nice 'n clean layouts.

Seismic is also considered, and used, in many areas of the country particularly out west. California now uses CBC, California Building Code, where requirements are based on ZIP codes. Ouch, new calc's for every county. :glare:

Sprinkler_Inspector+Supply_Riser_Details.dwg

Sounds like Seath has been there before. TANKS for the info Seath!

We all learn more every day. Nice.

I just took a peak at an inspection outlet, and, the water riser. Nice 'n clean layouts.

Seismic is also considered, and used, in many areas of the country particularly out west. California now uses CBC, California Building Code, where requirements are based on ZIP codes. Ouch, new calc's for every county. :glare:

I sure have. I worked for a Fire Protection Company for about 4 years. The reference books needed for FP is crazy. I do miss it at times it was a great learning experience. The up side to the seismic bracing is that cals for a 6" main and 1-1/2" Branch lines are the same no matter where it is being installed so after about 3 months of work we had all the calc sheets we needed to include in our drawings.

Given all the detail Seath has provided I'd suggest asking your professor how much detail regarding a sprinkler plan he expects to see. At least that way there are no surprises when you hand in the assignment.

I sure have. I worked for a Fire Protection Company for about 4 years. The reference books needed for FP is crazy. I do miss it at times it was a great learning experience. The up side to the seismic bracing is that cals for a 6" main and 1-1/2" Branch lines are the same no matter where it is being installed so after about 3 months of work we had all the calc sheets we needed to include in our drawings.

I work with tanks, valves, piping (40+) years so far. The fire systems are more involved than most give credit for.

Florida is enforcing seismic to the hilt lately. Of course, wind load is part of the seismic requirements, I don't think Florida is too concerned with earthquakes like CA.

I once did an interesting piping job on a Navy ship.

Seems the eyewash stations were seldom used but, when they were, the user might just get metal particles in an eye or two.

We re-piped the eyewash's' with polypropylene lined steel pipe just to be sure!

Most of my work is in the chemical industry. I've worked for Georgia Water, Finazzle (if you've heard of them), and Zep Manuf. All in Atlanta. Nice working atmosphere, the contacts were very nice in GA. 8)

Image and attachment simplified restaurant sprinkler layout.

Small blue dots are sprinkler heads, ceiling mounted.

Sprinkler_Ceiling_Plan.jpg

Sprinkler_Ceiling_Plan.pdf

The same was once the case, we always used Seismic Zone 4, worked anywhere. Not anymore, as in California, depends on location. I do believe Zone 4 is acceptable anywhere on the East Coast.

Six (6") inch main? The attached showing an eight (8") main for the restaurant sprinkler supply. Take a peek-a-boo at the attached *.dwg file.

This student's project is becoming a forum of its' own. :wink:

Comments welcome. :)

Sprinkler_Underground_Plan.dwg