Time log

fcfcadd

When I open up a drawing in autocad everything starts up good but I'm not seeing where it places the log file

It will place the log file in the same location as the drawing. :)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee Mac

• alanjt

• fcfcadd

• The Buzzard

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have only tested it when it closes, and it creates it successfully, but haven't tested the opening.

Another fun way to see the time:

(setvar 'MODEMACRO "EDITING TIME: $(edtime,$(getvar,TDINDWG),HH.MM.SS)")

I wrote a VBA program for windows that keeps track of time for up to 6 different jobs. It does not link to AutoCAD since I use it to keep track of time spent doing tasks not related to AutoCAD as well - spreadsheets, word documents...

It is essentially a chess timer with 6 clocks. I start it at the beginning of the day, use the radio buttons to change from task to task during the day, and at the end of the day I click a button that dumps the time data to a file in MyDocs. At the end of the week I use that file to generate my time card.

The program works, I have been running it every day for over 6 months on my work machine. The code is not pretty and there are some features that I would like to add when I get some time.

I've attached a screenshot - if anyone thinks this could help them out, post a reply and I will zip it up and upload it, as long as I'm not violating any forum rules.

Glen

jobtimer.jpg

Sorry, I got slammed at work and have not had time to put this up.

Comments welcome, I want to get back to working on this, I'm trying to teach myself VB and this was my first project. Haven't had much spare time lately to play with it anymore though.

Glen

JobTimer_1_2_0_3.zip

If as you say, that you close the drawing down after completing a drawing.

Have you used the Drawing Properties under the FILE menu, if you look in the statistic tab you should find all the info required

BigG

I use a good old-fashioned notebook, because like RK said, there is no way that a time-log would accuratly describe exactly how many hours you have worked on a drawing.

Actually my CadTempo program will do exactly that. I designed it so you will know how much time you have a file open as well as how much time you actually edit the drawing.

In fact you can set it up to delay the amount of idle time to count towards editing time.

So let's say you open a drawng and work on it for 25 minutes, take a phone break for 2 minutes, it's counting that as edit.

If you have it set for a 5 minute idle time any thing under the 5 minutes of idle will be considered editing time. If you go beyond the 5 minute period it will start counting again when you return to the drawing.

Moving away from the drawing to another application will stop the timing and resume when you return.

Actually my CadTempo program will do exactly that. I designed it so you will know how much time you have a file open as well as how much time you actually edit the drawing.

So how about this, while I browse this forum, I have AutoCAD open. When I encounter a question here that I want to answer, but need to check the actual prcedure - I usually don't close down the drawing I have open at the time, it takes far too long to open it again. I simply pan over to an unused area and fiddle there. Then I delete everything, write my answer here, and then go back to work. That time will show as edit-time, but it is in fact idle-time.

My point is not to rain on anyones parade here, if it works for you then go for it! My point is that to absolutely positively believe in these kind of editing times, might very well prove faulty. And to belive in someone elses editing times, that can be down right foolish since you don't know how their disciplin (sp?) is.

When asked how much time a drawing take, in my field, in general, if I have the material, I usually answer between 4-8 hours. That's close enough for me.

Hi Tiger,

You bring up a valid point. Everyone works in different ways and the best I can do is to try to anticipate the varied ways in which work is done. The scenario you point out could be accomodated by placing an ignore feature in the program.

The main theme behind the CadTempo program is to collect that time that is spent in the drawing without any user intervention. That is to avoid starting and stopping timers, and yet allow for the fact that breaks for phone calls, grabbing a cup of coffee, etc. can be (or not) accounted for.

In my line of work and being self employeed I'm very conscientious about my time involvement. I've massaged my methods and techniques to the point where a single detail may only be 10-15 minutes or perhaps 1-2 hours depending on the complexity.

It is (and continues to be) the time logging that allows me to continuously improve upon that time by benchmarking the changes I make to my methods.