Font Style

rodbuilder

Coworkers? Then you're networked right?

Put the font somewhere accessable to your coworkers and tell them to place a copy in the folder C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2010\Fonts.

And, curious, what does a "century schoolbook" font style look like?

ReMark was right. Not networked?

Email the font file to your coworkers. Then put the font in the fonts file.

Font files are often small enough for internet email.

If it's a Truetype font, it's installed in Windows & you'll find it in the Windows/Fonts folder. You can copy te "ttf" file from there, coworkers can just paste into their folder but it's preferred that they "install" it.

My old typesetting poop sheet says there are four types of Century Schoolbook out there. Make sure your then get the right one with the right extension transferred over to them.

Wm.

I dunno Mark... for the Truetype fonts of Aldus/Adobe in the .ttf format used to be quite popular. My printer's poop sheet lists Century Schoolbook Bold text, Century Schoolbook Itallic, Century Schoolbook normal, Century Schoolbook condensed, Century Schoolbook in Bold and condensed, Century Schoolbook in 725, and as Century Schoolbook 725 bold and condensed. Each of these having a distinctive appearance, but all ending with the famous *.ttf extension.

You may find one (and load it as an active font) but then did you choose the correct one for the situation?

Wm.

I'm running XP and from what I can see Century Schoolbook is not a listed font so the OP must have gotten it from another source. I'm going to amend my original advice and suggest that the font be placed in the C:\Windows\Fonts folder instead. It probably makes more sense since it is a TrueType font and not a shx font.

Under the heading I didn't know that...

TrueType fonts that do not come with Windows have to be registered. The following is courtesy of Elise Moss of Moss Designs.

To register a TrueType font:

1. On the Start menu (Windows), click Settings > Control Panel.
  2. In Control Panel, double-click the Fonts item to open the Fonts window.
  3. On the File menu, click Install New Font and navigate to the location of the font.
  4. Select the fonts to load and click OK.

TrueType fonts that do not come with Windows have to be registered. The following is courtesy of Elise Moss of Moss Designs.

3. On the File menu, click Install New Font and navigate to the location of the font.

A number of years ago, I bought my TTF's off a bargain table at Comp-USA at about $3 at one of their quite common and great Going out of Biz. sales.

Is zero mention of needing to "register" them inside the box or once software is pulled up. I looked too.

Should these then be regstered with Adobe. Or forget it?

Wm.

how old is this requirement? Under Windows 3 (we are having an old day aren't we) it was necessary, maybe under newer releases too but I didn't have to install the font I downloaded on XP last year to get it to work.

Interestingly enough, most font styles are copy written, just like Auto CAD. They need to be purchased through a vendor that sells the font.

Some of the fonts can get expensive, just for one type. Others can be free. It just depends on what the style is.

Okay I have checked all the machines and they all have the font in c:\windows\font but AutoCAD is not recognizing it. How would I get AutoCAD to recognize the ttf file?

I downloaded the font from the website previously provided and put it on my Desktop. I opened Explorer and found the Windows/Fonts folder. I dragged the font off the Desktop into the folder and up popped a message telling me that Windows was installing the font. I did all this with AutoCAD running minimized. I opened AutoCAD and successfully loaded the font and used it in an existing drawing with no problem. That answers all the questions I had. You got any left?

If I am not wrong AutoCAD automatically looks in the windows\font folder. Anyone have an idea or suggest what I am looking over?
For TTFs, ACAD looks at the 'registered' fonts in the Windows registry, not just files in a folder.

Just do what I outlined above and you should be fine. If Windows "installs" the font then it knows of its existence and where to locate it. You do not have to do anything else.