Measure along an arc

helsinki98

Hello again! I have another question which hopefully some one here can answer for me :D

I am trying to incorporate a elliptical stair case into a design, using the uk building regulations i have worked out that my stairs will cover a distance of 7250mm to get onto the first floor of my building. My question is how do I measure the distance of 7250mm in my building? The stairs will be against a curved wall and I can't figure out how to measure the 7250mm around the curve so I know how much I need to draw in auto cad, if anyone can help with a solution to my predicament i would be very grateful if you could share it :)

cheers, Helsinki

Helsinki, I have moved your question into it's own thread, please start a new thread for each new question.

If I was at the office I'd reach behind me and pull out the formula-book and tell you the formula for calculating the radius of a circle based on the arc-segment lenght. But I am not in the office (a cold is keeping me at home) so I hope you have such a formula-book as well.

you can draw your curve (helix) with the informtions that you have, i.e start point, starting radius and height. Then use "lengthen" total option, type in 7250 and slect the end to extend or cut to get required length

1st off are you attempting to do this in 3d or 2d.

If it's 3d I would start off by drawing the staircase in a plan view first drawing in the wall and then work from there. you can then use the helix command to draw the outline of your stringer.

But as you say if you are working to the BS, then you have to incorporate a half landing at the 16th tread. 7250 is extreamly high.

See attached thread for a similar thread.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42747

Where does your code say to measure from? If the building inspector is going to measure for conformance, I can almost guarantee that he won't be measuring an arc. The way the code here in the US reads, you have to measure the straight distance between two points that are at a specific distance from the narrower side.

In the picture below, you measure in a straight line between two points that are 12" from the center most edge of the stair. This dimension cannot be less than 7" (in Wisconsin, your state/country will have their own regulation).