Proper rendering in Autocad 2008/2010

rocneasta

hi all, i want to improve my general disbelieve that autocad can render anything properly... Reason i'm saying this is that i've watched him grow from R14 to these modern times and he's grown to be more and more similar to 3dsmax but i feel as if those little clicks and flashy stuff (concerning materials and rendering) are just for show, and nowhere near as functional as they should be. Of course it was hilarious to see a material of an ape in R14, and now to see palettes filled with cool looking materials.

What i wanna know is this - can you really use bump map and how/when will it show it's result. How can you work with UV mapping - since let's face it, you can't always draw sphere, cylinder, plane and a box, and hope for the best. Can anyone show something more than the bible is describing (cause it's not much at all) or any other official Autodesk Autocad related material.

i'll attach a render, that i would like to render with proper materials, with proper scene etc for it to look drinkable if not photorealistic

i did this model for a speed modeling challenge - not really important to texture for being a valid entry.

render took so long because i did go to the max allowed size (4000x3000), and the sky was bcg and illumination so it always adds to the time of rendering. Other preferences - presentation render/GI/750 value/shadows 200 segments/10 smoothness... and so many more not really important

i appreciate all the help

p.s. my questions may sound like newbish but i've tried and tried again and every time it spelled fail. Yes it's easy to get glass etc, but some models are just a pain - plus textures and mapping i sometimes believe it's a hoax :P

yhh&bor_003.jpg

Operating System: Windows XP™ Professional, Version 2002, SP 2

Processor: Genuine Intel® CPU T2600 @ 2.16 GHz

Memory: 1,00GB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon X1600

i can always hop to HP workstation Z600, but i'm mostly on my laptop. I assume this question is connected with render speed?

i feel as though we're drifting of the subject, but here it is /the important stuff

NVIDIA Quadro FX1800 768MB

Intel Xeon E5540 2.53 8MB/1066 QC CPU-1

HP 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3-1333 ECC RAM

You know, rocneasta, although I do agree with ReMark (trust me, he knows his stuff), I was taking a look at your workstation stats, and realized there could be a hardware problem in general.

Regarding the drifting, ReMark is correct. All of the new CAD/Modelling software that exists today require a very strong computer to run it. Moreso than that, AutoCAD seems to run better with certified graphics hardware. The CPU matters alot as well. For example, check out my CPU stats, I did a simple rendering yesterday, at default presentation quality with 1440x900 resolution, and all 8 procs maxed out to 100%.

ReMark, I am curious, does the location, resolution, and file type of materials affect the rendering time or the realistic Visual Style? The reason I ask is that I am having somewhat of the same issue. Based off of the knowledge I have of PC's, I am running a monster, but it performs like a store bought $400 eMachine (No offense...have one at home :-)). I just find that odd.

A Bump map adds texture to a surface. Think of the difference between a plain concrete block wall and one that is constructed using rough-faced architectural blocks. I'm sure you've seen them.