AutoCAD opens Excel when opening dwg with links

dwilcox13

I have a user that is opening a dwg in AMEP 2008. (OS in use is Microsoft XP) The dwg contains links to multiple Excel files (panel schedules). When she opens the dwg, it updates the links like normal but it actually opens the Excel program. It is not opening the worksheets that are linked it just opens the Excel program with no worksheets open or hidden. It only happens on her PC and noone else's in the office. Is there a way to stop this? Is there some obscure system variable to control this?

Here's the background info on the drawing and what we've tried. The links were put in by copying information from Excel and using the Paste Special feature under Edit and choosing the Paste as Link option. The links are fine, not broken, and pointing to the correct worksheets. We've made sure that the worksheets are not in use, not Hidden or locked in Excel and not marked as Read Only.

I double checked your idea whitehaint but it didn't solve it. I had the user right click on a dwg file, choose open with AutoCAD MEP and check the box for Always open this type of file with this program. But still opens Excel. Let me clarify, the dwg opens in AMEP like it should but while its still loading up and refreshing the Excel links it will open an empty Excel program. Any other ideas out there?

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem.

I haved search the net for an answer for 2 hours.

No one seems to know how to stop excel from opening when you open your drawing with the link.

Did you ever find an answer?

I am working on the problem right now - searching the net and asking the question in different ways. I tried using diferent settings for the DXEVAL system variable. That did not stop the spreadsheet from opening. It does seem to be an autocad 2008 problem. 2008 has a "bi-directional" function in it. So i am looking into stopping or turning off that "bi-directional feature. I will let you know what i find. Keep your email notification set to on for your account. I really need to fix this problem. If i can not, it will effect a very large project i am working on, in a bad way.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a way to stop excel from opening automatically every time you open your AutoCAD drawing.

In AutoCAD version 2008 there is a bi-directional feature that I believe is the culprit.

The way to stop this has to do with the way you insert or paste you excel table into AutoCAD.

Do-Not use “paste special”. Not necessary with the bi-directional feature.

Just copy and paste your table into AutoCAD.

When you paste this way, you see an “OLE Text Size” screen pop up.

Just select OK to finish the insert.

Now when you open AutoCAD, it will not open excel.

And you still get the link feature you wanted to begin with.

I also suggest when inserting similar size tables into multiple drawings you maximize your excel window before you cut and paste.

I noticed a slight size difference occurring when I did not maximize my excel screen.

Quirky?

Yes

But it seems to work for everything I am doing.

8)

• 14 years later...
On 11/3/2009 at 9:23 AM, wreese007 said:

This is a way to stop excel from opening automatically every time you open your AutoCAD drawing.

In AutoCAD version 2008 there is a bi-directional feature that I believe is the culprit.

The way to stop this has to do with the way you insert or paste you excel table into AutoCAD.

Do-Not use “paste special”. Not necessary with the bi-directional feature.

Just copy and paste your table into AutoCAD.

When you paste this way, you see an “OLE Text Size” screen pop up.

Just select OK to finish the insert.

Now when you open AutoCAD, it will not open excel.

And you still get the link feature you wanted to begin with.

I also suggest when inserting similar size tables into multiple drawings you maximize your excel window before you cut and paste.

I noticed a slight size difference occurring when I did not maximize my excel screen.

Quirky?

Yes

But it seems to work for everything I am doing.

8)

When I do this the autocad doesn't automatically update when I make changes to the excel. The point of paste special is that it updates my autocad drawings automatically.