layers do not match

nate

Hi again..I'm using autocad 2002. I'm having problems getting my files to load on the plasma table. What is happening is that I am using dxf files from another person and adding modifications to it. When I load the file to the burn table an error comes up saying layers probably do not match. How exactly do I get the layers to match or just have one layer. I typed change in the command,then selected objects, then selected properties,then selected layers and changed them to 0..Is this right or is there more to it. I'm trying to learn this on my own and occasionaly run into problems. Things I add to the drawing will show on the screen but the other objects don't. Please Help

The way your using the 'change' command is correct but understanding exactly why your getting an error about the layers not matching is a bit vague. Maybe you have some entities that have colors, line types, etc. that are set by color rather than ByLayer. Give us a more descriptive explanation about your problem.

I have some dxf files from another person. I have been trimming and breaking where needed to place the objects in my drawing. The lines I add show when I load the file to the cnc burn table but the objects from the other person does not. This usually results in an error message coming up saying layers probably do not match. I use R12 dxf file out, name the file, send the file to memory stick and load on the burn table. I have also had it come up as error multiple layers..Our burn table converts dxf to g-code..

Sorry Nate. I am perplexed about this. Since I am not familiar with using a burn table (or more directly the software on the table) I don't know how to relate.

There are no blocks. I open the folder containing the dxf files of the objects the guy sent. I then copy and paste the object(s) I want to use in my drawing. I then have to trim and break the object(s) to go with my lines to make a silhouette. I'm making wall art and gates using mountains,wildlife and trees. If I just use his objects individually they load right up but as soon as I do any mods to it the error comes layers do not match. I am not to keen on the software of the burn table. We select Cad import by MTC on the touchscreen of the cnc burn table to load up the files. As far as xrefs go I am waiting on the kids to get to bed so I can think in peace. I'll open up the drawing and see if I can find any on the file. Will get back momentarily if I can it may be tommorrow before I can. I am going to try and reload the program after I do the change layers to 0 deal and see if that works

Here are some screen shots of the drawing. there are eight layers in the original. I went in and was able to individually delete 6 layers but layers 0 and 1 were not able to be deleted for reasons being cannot delete layers containing objects,layers 0 and defpoints,the current layer or xref- dependant layers. Could I compress the file and post as a zip,would that bring it down to 250kb

screenshot.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

O.K. there are no xref-dependant layers and the only used layer is 1 according to the manager. I was sent 3 different folders containing about 20 different objects in each folder. I open the folder in Cad and all the objects are on the same page.I then copy and paste the object(s) I want to use on my drawing. I noticed that when I looked in the folder with the 20 or so objects that it only had 2 layers them being 0 and 1. When I took one object and copied and pasted it in a new drawing by itself it showed a total of eight layers. Why is that?

It seems to me that this could possibly be a corrupted file with phantom entities (i.e. lines, arcs, etc.) and the layers that happen to show up are created by the phantom entities.

Try creating a completely new file, select the entities that are visible then copy and paste them to the new file. Do not do a Select All command but select them by dragging the cursor from left to right across your visible entities making sure you get all of them inside the selection box.

Tried again at work today with everything we discussed last evening. As stated prior I deleted each line I could and saved the state. I then selected show all used layers and it came back as one used layer. I saved the state again and dxf out and saved in my cad files then sent it to memory stick to take back to work and try again on the burny. Our plasma torch table is made by Thermadyne. It has WindowsXP embedded software. This allows us to nest multiple parts on one sheet of steel so as to reduce waste. From my understandings in the manual when the dxf file is converted to g-code it reads all layers of the dxf. If the layers do not match it comes up as error layers probably do not match. It will read anything I draw. If the dxf whose layers do not show up is produced from another drawing software besides AutoCad,let's say for example CorelDraw, would this cause the layer issue?

I don't understand the error? "Layers Probably Do Not Match"? Do not match what? :?

Is all of your linework at Z0? Maybe some of the lines have an elevation?

You might also want to WBLOCK the linework out to its own file and then dxf out from the new, clean file. Wblock will only send the entities you select to the new file, so all the junk will not be transferred.

I'll take a screenshot of the plasma screen tomorrow and post so as everyone can see the error message or messages till then I will WBLOCK like posted above and see what happens at work. Thanks to all you folks for trying to solve this. If I could get this fixed I'd give you all a big backwoods hug