Opening .dgn files

Jfennell

Hello all,

I am using AutoCAD 2010 and i was under the impression that you could open .dgn (Microstation) files, with this version, however, i am unable to do this. If anyone knows more about this function i would appreciate any input.

Thank you

-Jeremy

you can insert a .dgn as an underlay, go

INSERT > DGN Underlay from the menue bar at the top. :)

I think you can only open ver8 DGN or newer. Also microstation can output a DWG but good luck you may be suprised with what you get.

• 2 years later...

If you need to work on the file in CAD format and then revert back to DGN, I'd suggest using Civil3D and using 'DGNIMPORT' AND 'DGNEXPORT'. Just in case you had Civil3D handy.

You can import a DGN file in 2010. Go to the file menu, down to import, then in the "files of type" change it to "all DGN files". See pic below:

dgnfiles.jpg

Excerpt from the help files follows:

You can import MicroStation® DGN drawing files into DWG files.

The import process translates basic DGN data into the corresponding DWG file data. There are several translation options to determine how certain data such as text elements and external references are handled. Users can not only manipulate text elements and xrefs, but also select the conversion units based on DGN unit settings, and most importantly, preview the default mapping translation or create and use their own mapping setups (see DGNMAPPING).

Exchanging and reusing basic drawing data is useful in collaborative projects. For example, service organizations such as AEC and design-build firms might need to import mapping data created with MicroStation into a site plan created with an AutoCAD-based product. The DGN data can serve as an accurate reference for creating the site plan.

NoteDGNIMPORT is not limited to files with *.dgn extensions. It supports all DGN files, even those that do not have a .dgn extension.

Oops..didn't notice the thread necromancy. It was 10:30 last night...was getting sleepy!

Nub...you replied to a 2 1/2 year old thread! LOL.

haha I just realised that as well!!!! oh my goodness... :P But in saying that, I didn't know that I could use the DGNIMPORT/EXPORT commands in vanilla ACAD :) So I learnt something new :D

• 11 months later...