Creating a Glass Railing around a circular stair case that has a landing

dhdesigner

I'm trying to create a glass staircase railing framed in metal that follows this circular staircase up, there is a landing and then it continues up to a second floor. the frame would be 2" w by 3" h, I'm using Autocad 2010 and cannot get the sweep to look right. I have done a spline along the tops of the lines that would be the height of the railing, but when I do a rectangular shape for the glass part it goes in every other direction but a seamless curved path???????Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!!

staircase.jpg

se isometric view staircase.jpg

Well I managed to figure it out, and here is what I did.

Created the stair treads and landing extruded them and placed them at the appropriate height. Then I drew two circles for the outer railing width, drew polylines in between the two circles at the outer back point of each tread, moved these into the correct height for each, then drew a polyline rectangle in the width and height of the railing. Copied and placed at the outer back point of each tread moved to the correct height then rotated to the correct angle for each, drew a spline in the bottom center of each rectangle up to the landing used the loft command, chose each rectangle in order going up and chose P for path and bingo have my railing, not perfect but its a start.

staircase with railing.jpg

Nice. We are just completing a similar Flying Staircase for the City Center in Las Vegas. but the railings are all brass. It's been a long couple of months to get the four sets completed by opening on 12-16.

112109_15581.jpg

KC

Instead of using the spline, use the helix command.

Starting angle should be the o/side of the bottom toe and height should be the riser height from the first to to the half landing. then move the lines up to the required height.

On the half landing draw a circle and move it up to your required height.

then do the helix command on flight 2. (from the bootom toe of fl 2 to the top toe of fl 2

this should give you a smoother line.

The orientate your ucs to the endpoint of the handrail and draw the height and width of the glass then use sweep.

Use slice command to cut up the glass.

Hope this helps.

It's starting to take shape, is this the "apple" staircase you previously posted about?

Yes but I took out the elevator and left the stairs.

I am completely confused with your directions, when I do the helix it say specify base point, I am setting that at the center of my staircase, the it asks for base diameter which mine is 6'8 and the asks for the upper diameter which I am also putting at 6'8", then it asks for the height which is 8'-5/8" to the first landing, when I put all of this in the helix has too many turns when I reduce the turns down to one the height to the landing isn't right. I dont understand your directions at all. Sorry!

You have an option during the helix command to specify the number of turns that you want. Think of it like a screw and how many threads you want. You can also go into your properties of the helix and change the turns there.

To get the number of turns accurate.

A circle is 360 Degrees.

Find the angle between your start and stop point (e.g 290 deg)

Divide the 290 by 360 and this will give you 0.805555

This is the "number of turns" you should enter into the helix command.