Profiles VS SYSVDLG

samifox

What is the different between saving a Option > Profilevs saving via Express > SYSVDLG ? let say I want to reset autocad to thefactory state, pressing the RESET in the Option > Profile is ok or load the default.CSRinto the SYSVDLG?

Thanks

Shay

I am guessing on this one.

You probably know that you can restore all of the SYSTEM VARIABLE settings to their default values

using the READ icon in the SYSVDLG box.

I would expect that resetting the PROFILE to default values would access that same .SVF file.

Though I believe there may be system variables which are not part and parcel of a PROFILE,

so perhaps those might not be affected by a PROFILE reset.

Once again, the disclaimer, this is hypothetical on my part.

Building on Dadgad's post....

System Variables can be stored in the drawing, to the registry, or not saved at all, whereas a Profile is much more encompassing, and persistent.

Those System Variables that are saved to the registry may be part of what make up a Profile (an .ARG file), but a Profile (may) consist of much, much more than simply System Variables, such as Files Preferences (i.e., Support File Search Path (SFSP), Customization Files, Printer Support File Path, and Template Settings, to name a few), and also the other settings available via OPTIONS Command, to include those stored to the Profile's node in the registry such as dialog positions, and the shortcuts found on the left side of the OPEN dialog, etc..

HTH

so you say that if you want to save only veriables save it with SYSVDLG, but if you want to save veryables and SFSP use profile instead?

You'll get more than just SFSP when saving a profile, but generally, my answer to your question would be "correct."