Autocad 2017 ignoring pgp file

Anne-kzn

I'm wondering if someone can help me with an issue that started yesterday.  In my pgp file I have always used the keyboard stroke T for tilemode.  I haven't done anything to the pgp file to change anything, but for some reason autocad is suddenly using T for takeapart.  I've reinitialised the pgp file, added T for tilemode to the end of the pgp file, but nothing works.  If I actually type out tilemode it gives me the command AI_TILEMODE1.  Sometimes after I reinit, it does recognise T as being Tilemode, but after the first time it reverts back to takeapart.

I know it's easy enough to click on the tab at the bottom, but I'm used to using T, and it is getting really frustrating.  I haven't changed or added anything for quite a while, and certainly not between Friday and Saturday.  I've looked on the internet for help, but haven't found anything useful.

Can anyone help?

It's hard to diagnose this issue without more information. Have you tried to load a new linetype or hatch pattern recently? That would indicate a problem with your support files in general. Have you tried to update your aliases using the Express Tools option or CUI? Do you have other aliases, and are you having the same issue with them?

CyberAngel, thanks for responding.  Funnily enough I revised linetypes today, but that was after the problem started, and I didn't make any changes to anything from Friday to Saturday when it suddenly decided to do its own thing.

When you say aliases, do you mean profiles?  I have several profiles, one of which I use whenever I change the CUi file, because if I don't, it completely messes up my current profile, so I created one where it can change whatever it likes when I do anything with the CUI file.  I went in now and changed to that profile, and T for tilemode works fine in it.  When I changed back to my usual profile, the first T worked, and then it reverted to takeapart.  I'm hoping that shows you what the problem could possibly be, since you suggested it?  As I said, I made absolutely no changes to anything from when it worked to when it didn't. 

I will start by making a copy of my current profile and then deleting it.  I will let you know if that helps, but I would still be interesting in finding out why it is doing this...

I appreciate your help.

CyberAngel, just wanted to thank you and let you know that I created a new profile with the same settings as the one I usually use, and now T for Tilemode is back.  I'd really like to know how it got corrupted like that, so if you know, could you tell me?

I've been trying to find out if shortcuts are saved along with a profile. Guess so.

Some of these settings are in the system registry. There's no telling which apps use the registry or what they do, unless you have a specific app. Not only that, AutoCAD is notoriously unstable. Some people routinely use the repair function. So the answer is, you may never know what happened unless it happens again. Be sure to back up your configuration files.

BTW, "command alias" is the term Autodesk uses for keyboard shortcuts. It shows up in the .PGP file and on the Express menu.

Thanks, CA.  I've spent a lot of the morning so far trying to get the new profile to work as I want it to - it has done weird things to a lot of my  commands.  And it threw out all of the lisp routines I had loading automatically (the little briefcase in appload).  I'm starting to feel like it's got a life of its own.  I've resisted moving to 2018 or 2019 because I have 2017 so customised, and instead of simply updating, you have to start from scratch each time you get a new update.  I should probably have taken this time to do an update...

5 hours ago, Anne-kzn said:

I've resisted moving to 2018 or 2019 because I have 2017 so customised, and instead of simply updating, you have to start from scratch each time you get a new update.  I should probably have taken this time to do an update...

You do not have to start from scratch if you set it up right one time.  Keep all of your custom things [.pgp, acad.lsp, acaddoc.lsp, menu file(s), .mnl file(s), .pat/.lin/.shx file(s), etc] in a single folder (like C:\CADSTUFF). Then when you want to use a new version, all you have to do is add this one path to the TOP of your support file search path. Done.

1. Keep a backup copy of your profile.  Just use [Add to List…] in options to add one with the current settings.  Could save you a lot of grief down the road.

2. All the custom things rkmcswain described are a snap to add to the next version, unlike that little briefcase in appload that isn't all that reliable anyway.

3. Any time you're about to customize a CUIX file make a copy of it in your support folder (I generally add the month and day like Leon 9-19.CUIX).  No bigger disaster than having a CUIX file you've been modifying for years get corrupted without a backup.

My Leon.CUIX has just two tabs with many panels that added in a Workspace to the C3D tabs gives me access to all the functionally of AutoCAD, Map 3D, and over 100 custom commands.  Makes upgrading a piece of cake.  While I don't modify the C3D Ribbon tabs and panels I add our custom QAT, a few Keyboard Shortcuts, and a lot of Shortcut Menus.  

• Like 1