AutoCAD 2017 status bar icons

Blurto

I have been lead to believe that the status bar icons cannot be displayed as text, is this true? I might add that if the can, I haven't been able to find out how.

The option went away and I don't like it. I don't see why they couldn't keep the option there but they know better than we do what we need and like. I made a cheat sheet and taped it to the bottom of my screen so I don't have to hover over each one. If they were somewhat consistent with the icons it would have helped. Compare Dynamic input icon to Dynamic UCS and Add annotative scales. Two have the lightning bolt, one doesn't. And so on.

• 1 year later...
On 1/24/2017 at 1:53 AM, guran said:

Yes it is true since 2016

Actually 2015.

Just means they've refused to "fix" it for 4 subsequent versions now. Almost certainly this will turn into 5 and 6 and 7 and....

On 1/24/2017 at 9:15 AM, rkent said:

I don't see why they couldn't keep the option there but they know better than we do what we need and like.

You nailed it. Some person who has probably never used AutoCAD to earn his/her living thought it would be okay to remove this option. (Yet the screen menu from 25+ years ago, lives on!)

The Autodesk programmers are a talented bunch, it's the people they take their instruction from that need a dose of reality.

• Like 1

Yeah, I just moved from 2014 to 2018 and I really hate the icons. In 2014, you still had the option to display text instead of symbols. I can't remember what all those little icons represent!

I guess I'll get used to it, eventually. I mean, I don't have a choice, right?  😖

It wouldn't be so bad if the icons remained consistent across versions. Every so often, though, they completely change the iconography. Just when you learn what all the little buttons do, they turn into different buttons.

• Like 1