Creating text for a sign?

kmonahan

Hi there,

I currently have access to a large automated punch and I was looking to create some stencils in order to make a number of signs.

The punch works by inputting an AutoCAD drawing. Rather than draw all the letters out one-by-one, is there anyway that large text can be added in order to be punched by the machine?

I have limited experience with AutoCAD, but a colleague has agreed to help.

Does anyone have any advice or instructions on how to go about doing this?

Kyle

What do you mean by "anyway that large text can be added"? Did you look at all the fonts AutoCAD comes with and decide that none of them fit your needs? What kind of font style are you interested in?

Using text command, type out what you want. Use Express Tools command TXTEXP. Now to clean that up change to another layer, draw a rectangle around the exploded text. Use the BPOLY command and pick inside the rectangle and inside closed letters like A, B, D, etc. Now lock the original layer and move the bpoly letters up out of the way, or delete the original layer, etc.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies, I think 'Exploding Texts' is what I was looking for! I will give rkent's instructions a try and see what happens!

Many thanks again!

Kyle

I work with graphics & company logos from time to time, and I am required to drop them into drawings.

If you use rkent's way, it does work, but when you explode the text in that manner, the lettering will end up being 'faceted'. Auto CAD will make the curved lines in straight sections. This will also in turn distort the lettering, from its original format.

Depending on the size of the lettering it may or may not make a difference. There is however another way to create the text, so it does not distort in any way shape or form, but it will require the use of Adobe Illustrator.

If this is something you are interested in, I can post it.

Okay will do. Although it looks as though the post that you linked has quite a few less steps in it.

1. Create your text in Illustrator. You can use any style or font that you want to use. You can also use any other vector style image, such as company logos, clip-art or what ever you create.

2. Outline your text. Outlining your text in Illustrator is the equivleant of exploding your text in Auto CAD. This allows it so that you can modify your text as well. See the attached image.

OutlineText-01.jpg

3. Create a pen outline for your image. All that is done here is making the fill color transparent and the outline what ever color you see fit. If you skip this part, and import to Auto CAD, you will be unable to modify or use the outline. See attached image.

TransparentText-01.jpg

4. Export your image. The attached images will show your options. I would imagine that your options may vary depending on the version of Adobe Illustrator you are using. For my example I am using CS2 Suite.

FileMenu-01.jpg

SavingOptions-01.jpg

ExportOptions-01.jpg

5. Open up your exported drawing. Please note that once you zoom extents, that your image is there, but will be completly out of scale, if you are using Imperal units.

6. EXPLODE all of your lines. Explode until you can't explode anymore. This will leave everything a SPLINE entidys. I would recomend turning off any running OSNAPS at this point, because Auto CAD will crash if you use them in any shape or form.

SplineOutline-01.jpg

7. Use the FLATTEN command. This will of course change your splins into polyarcs & polylines.

8. Join the lines together using your preferred method. Either BPOLY or PLINE --> Join.

FinalOutline-01.jpg

9. Now you have a nice path that you can use to EXTRUDE, cut on your router table, cut vinyl or what ever your heart desires.

3-dText-01.jpg

Using a CNC punch press?

I think you best choose a font carefully. I'm thinking you might have scrap floating around the press; i.e.: the two "o's" from punching the letter "B."

Have you looked at MS's STENCIL font?

Stencil.JPG