Disappearing annotation scales??

I have a file I used as a seed file at my previous office. We ran AutoCAD 2015, and the files contained our standard text, multileader, and dimension styles, all of which are annotative.

I've moved to a new job where we run 2018, and I'm trying to set up new standards using the previous files as a template. The problem I have is that I have the text etc. all set up, and I have a viewport set up to the same annotation scale as the objects, and everything looks fine. When I close the file and reopen it, the scales have reset, the scale I set no longer shows up in the scale list (I created a 1"=20'-0" custom scale), and I can't reapply the scale. If I recreate the custom scale, the objects don't react and come up at the correct size.

The only thing I can think of is some kind of kink going from 2015 to 2018. Any ideas?:?

Because of company privacy policies, I can't share the file. :( I thought it had resolved itself, since I was able to work on the drawings all yesterday afternoon without a problem. Now it's acting up again. I can't copy an mleader from one file to another, keep getting "copy to clipboard failed," so i closed out and reopened. Same problem: annotation scales are gone. What is going on??

Start with a 2018 template from your current company, add Custom Scales, then save and close template with a different name. If the template opens without losing the Custom Scales use Design Center to bring in the text, multileader, and annotative dimension styles.

You should first make sure your current company is OK with this first. They may have code in someplace like acaddoc.lsp that resets the Custom Scales whenever you open a drawing.

Thanks tombu, that was going to be my next plan of attack. I've bypassed it for now by working in the engineer's drawing in engineering units (I typically work in architectural so this will take getting used to). I'm thinking I may need to create two standards: one for engineering units, one for architectural, since I'll be doing both.

All my templates have annotative dimension styles for both as details for structures are dimensioned in architectural units. The annotative dimension styles for architectural units have a scale factor of 12. That way the same block structures inserted into all our drawings which have feet as the base unit are also in the detail sheets dimensioned in architectural units. No need for separate drawings based in inches. If it's easier for you to draw structures in architectural units simply scale them down when you're done. Easy peasy.